PLUM COLORATION, a discussion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The phenomenon we note in blued Rugers known as "plum" coloration has been the subject of considerable discussion over the years. This is usually explained as being the result of certain elements in the investment-cast steel Ruger uses for certain parts reacting with the bluing bath. We know that Ruger offered to re-blue guns in the early days if the customer wished, but did not guarantee any different results than seen on the original finish. Whether you like this deviant color is pretty much a personal thing, with some liking it almost as a "variation" and others disliking it as a manufacturing failure.

The matter came up on RugerForum dot net, and IOWEGAN addressed it from his position as a gunsmith with considerable experience in re-bluing Rugers as well as other guns with similar "problems". With his permission, I offer up his commentary for our edification and information . . .

"There are six reasons for guns to turn "plum". First is the temperature of the bluing salts, which must be maintained at exactly 292 deg F. If the temperature is lower, bluing won't take properly. If the temperature is just a few degrees too high, parts will turn plum. Second is the concentration of the salts. Because water boils off, the salts tend to get too concentrated so bluing tanks must be equipped with a water replenishment system to keep the salts to water ratio at 10:1 (10 parts water for one part salts by weight). If the mixture gets too concentrated, parts will turn plum. Next is "time in the tank". If parts are left in the bluing tank too long, they will turn plum (1/2 hour is normal). Bluing salts do "wear out" so they must be replaced fairly often. When salts start aging, gun parts turn plum. Last is the alloy. Some alloys require special additives to the bluing salts or the parts will turn plum no matter how well you maintain the tanks. In most cases, parts will turn plum right out of the bluing tank. When alloys are the cause, it may take several years for the plum color to show up. I can't fault Ruger for alloy issues during the first few years of production but after that, there's no excuse. Several years ago, it was common to see a brand new Ruger SA with plum parts ... so the alloy was not their only problem. I think Ruger was "guilty" of several of the above issues but they are doing much better now (same alloys).

"Back when I had my shop, I had a very nice bluing tank setup. I blued hundreds of guns but always had problems with Ruger SA cylinders, loading gates, sometimes frames, but never barrels turning plum ..... despite my best efforts to maintain temperature and a proper mix ratio. I also had problems with Winchester '94 receivers and any other gun with cast parts. One day I called Brownell's (I used their Oxynate #7 salts) and asked if there was anything I could do to prevent "plum". The answer was a resounding "yes .... buy an additive called Oxynate "S" and your problems will go away." I did just that and my first "test gun" was my own Ruger Liberty Blackhawk. It had a very plum loading gate and cylinder plus the cylinder frame showed some plum too. Besides, I carried this gun while deer hunting so it had considerable holster burn on the barrel. Guess what? When I took the parts out of the tank, they were blacker than a whore's heart. I still have the Liberty and it is still black with no signs of plum and that bluing job was done 30 years ago. For a handgun sized bluing tank (2 gallons), it takes about two ounces of Oxynate "S", which is now about $2/oz. I don't know how this stuff works but it indeed it does work on Rugers, Winchesters, and any other cast gun parts."

I think this is great information to be added to our treasure trove of Rugerdata, and thank IOWEGAN for his commentary.

:D

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
That is good to know. I do have problems in both keeping the temperature perfect and the ratio correct as the solution evaporates.

I have heard about the Oxynate for use in old Winchesters. Did an old model 69 and it was red (not plum) before I figured things out.

Good info!!!

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, I guess I'd better reblue this ol' dog.........

114490279.jpg

:D

Thanks for the info Iowegan/Ale-8(1) !! Verrry Interesting!

flatgate

BUT...gotta remember, even though you may get the color to be 'proper' at the time of 'bluing' the content of the metal (alloy) can still over time and exposure to direct sunlight cause those metals to turn plum...many of these guns left the factory " blue as gun blue can be.." and in time 'turned plum',,,,yes, you can MAKE the metal turn plum ( on purpose) as said above by fluctuating the temps, and yes, can make high content nickel steel turn "blue" at a higher temp...thats why we always saved the nickel steel Winchesters for the "last batch" so we could turn up the temp thus killing the bath solution, and make a "new" batch....lots to know and learn about 'bluing', and I save it for the 'others' now, the stuff makes MY skin crawl................. :shock:
bottom line it is still a 'defect" in the metal OR the process......... :roll:

and ONLY Ruger collectors think its "purty"..... 8)

contender

Ruger Guru
It's always good to learn new stuff. However, I think I agree with rugerguy. And as noted, many of us really do like the plum colored guns. Purdy examples above,,,!

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
The receiver of my Ruger M77R that I purchased new in 1981 turned plum about 6-7 years after I bought it. The rest of the metalwork is as new.
I also have a Winchester M70 Featherweight purchased new in 1982 and the receiver is plum from about where it meets the barrel to about halfway back, like the front end was tempered or heat treated (and probably was) and that caused the differences in the aging of the blue. It too did not start to change color until after several years.

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
My Smith and Wesson Model 15-3, which was reblued by S&W when I had it factory restored a few years ago, has a very plum barrel on it now (that's lovely, by the way!). I guess it's not just a Ruger thing!

I just bought a Great Western Arms clone of a Colt SAA made in Los Angeles sometime between 1954 and 1963. Cylinder is turning a nice plum.

It ISN'T a "Ruger thing," it's a "steel thing." As I've mentioned before, I have a Finnish Valmet 12 ga O/U shotgun that has a frame that is now plumb plum! Made in 1960s, I think.