On a 45-70 kick lately

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Up until about a year ago, I never owned a 45-70, and I'm not young;-)
Now I have three, all No. 1s and all fairly to quite rare. Here's the line-up from the top - an unmarked overrun of the Lyman centennial rifle, a NIB Lipsey with 26" barrel and circassian walnut, and a first year production 1S:
45-70s.jpg

It includes three different barrel contours, lengths and manufacturers (D-28"- Wilson, C-26"-Ruger and B-22"-Douglas), three different checkering patterns, 2 different wood types, three different buttpads, 2 different breechblocks and 2 different trigger types (acutally 3 since the Lyman overrun has a Canjar installed).
All that's lacking is a Liberty 1H, which I have no delusion of ever finding/affording.
LC

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Rumrunner said:
Was the pun intended - 45-70 KICK :lol:

That is a nice trifecta. I love shooting this round. Right now I'm down to a Marlin Stainless Guide Gun and a Ruger #1.

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that, but then my humor is not recognized at home either :roll:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
LC,
Nice group of 45/70's! Here is a perfect example of why No.1's are so interesting. Same caliber, 3 very different configurations of the rifle.
I think the new 26" C weight barrel to be the best balanced, but the lighter 1S is very handy.
My experience with the 1st production run 1S .45/70's is that they were made in August of 1970. You will find a few non-prefix rifles and prefix rifles with very low 130-0XXXX serial numbers.
John Wootters got one of these and published a reloading article in the August, 1971 Shooting Times. The interesting loads were with one round ball and 3 round balls stacked. You can generally find a copy of this issue on eBay.
Link to an interesting photo of Writers at Newport in 1971:

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/?p=38

For those that have a copy of the Clayton Ruger No.1 book, Wootters wrote the Foreward and that is his .45/70 on his shoulder in the accompanying photo.
ENU

DHB

Bearcat
I bought my #1 45-70, new on 01/04/1983. Loved it ever since.
DHB

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
SHOOTER said:
Can someone here again define the barrel weights again? B c d???

B is the medium weight barrel, usually 26", but they have aslo been made in 22" for the larger calibers

C is the heavyweight barrel used on most 1H's and it is usually made in 24" lengths

D is the very heavyweight barrel used on the largest bigbores (4548s and 416s?)

The differences are obvious when you have them side by side. I don't have the dimensions for them at hand but you can find them with a search here or elsewhere on the net. Or in the Ruger No1 book.