GP-100 Blues going "plum"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

While I've seen earlier Ruger DAs that have turned plum color to varying degrees, it strikes me that I've never seen a blue GP that is "ripening up."

Anybody got one? Or are they just too new to show this, or has Ruger changed steels for the GP series? I think it would be sad to lose this "variation," but others may not agree.

I have a Finnish Valmet 12 guage O/U shotgun with an entirely plum frame. This gun was made in the early 1960s and I use it for rainy day hunting and situations where I worry about falling down and damaging my Rugers. (I call her "Prunella.). A very solid and reliable (and attractive, if you like prune whip) shotgun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Slight changes in the "mixture" of the steel alloys prior to casting can and will make a difference in the "colors". I'm not a Metallurgist so I cannot explain what I've "heard"..... :D

flatgate

Ive heard all sorts of theories. Latest is that it has to do with the percentage of manganese in the steel alloy; too much and it reacts with the bluing to make it purple.

Don't really care about the "why"--I sure do like WHAT sometimes happens tho.... (Does that make me just plum nuts?).

stantheman86

Buckeye
38gp100.JPG

This GP100 has a plum frame. I kinda like it 8)

That's pretty Flatgate! Close to the color of the creation of my Home Town Hero, Luther Burbank, who created the Santa Rosa Plum.

None of mine have that reddish cast. Yet.