Late 357 Type 4 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deserttrans

Buckeye
Was at the Prescott gun show today and made a trade for this beauty. Not a mark on it. Gave up a very nice S&W for it...but I'm very happy :D . 1962, 42013. Popped the grip panels off, but no XR3 Red, darn it :(

2244741620080543073S600x600Q85.jpg

You may see MANY Flattops with XR3RED's, but there's no way to document that they were originally shipped that way from The Factory to the best of my knowledge.

Same is true with the protected-sight guns. You may see them with XR3's, but there's no way to know FOR SURE if they were shipped that way.

Both situations are POSSIBLE . . . but essentially impossible to document.

JMHO
:)

flatgate

Hawkeye
331486214.jpg

Off topic, somewhat........

These two were, to the best of my knowledge, shipped in July of '62 with XR3-RED grip frames. Of course, they are .44's.

flatgate

PS No need to remove the grip panels. One can tell the differences by looking at the "back strap". XR-3 is straight, XR3-RED has a "curve".

americal

Hunter
A FINE FT. Way to go 8) since it is a XR3 you can have those ---PLASTIC fake stag grips back to but on it --now ain't that a 8) idea :lol:

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
You may see MANY Flattops with XR3RED's, but there's no way to document that they were originally shipped that way from The Factory to the best of my knowledge.

Same is true with the protected-sight guns. You may see them with XR3's, but there's no way to know FOR SURE if they were shipped that way.

Both situations are POSSIBLE . . . but essentially impossible to document.

JMHO
:)

Ahh...but they are out there! You're right...no way to verify, but there are plenty of .44 flattops out there with XR3-RED frames, enough of them for collectors to say yes, they did make them. If one were to get a shipping date after July 1962 for a .357 flattop, then would be tough to dismiss a RED on it I.M.H.O. I have two or three late shipped .357 flattops with XR3-RED grip frames in my notes that are wonderful candidates for having been originally shipped with the RED on it. 41Nut knows what I mean :)
When it comes right down to it, all Rugers are screwdriver variations. A person can change absolutely anything on any model. But were it not for a bit of honesty in this hobby, we would have nothing to collect. And to be honest with you, there may be guys here who say that there have been a lot of guns changed out with different parts...but on the percentages, the grand majority have not as most owners have no idea how to go about it, nor do they care.
There must be some sort of line drawn there or you would have nothing to collect as factory original.
Chet15

Latest posts