.357 flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

copierfixer

Bearcat
I came across a 1958 blackhawk flattop, 4 5/8 barrel, only a little wear on the end of the barrel. has a turn line. it also has a screw in the top strap near the front. Was that something that was added, or factory? thanks.

As Mike stated no holes in the top strap. I very rarely see the top strap drilled in the 22's or 357's. I have seen alot in the 44 Flat Tops & Super's but the most often seen out here in the west is the Hawkeye with the top strap drilled & tapped. J/S

copierfixer

Bearcat
Thanks for the info...I didn't think they had holes. At least it looks to have been done professionally and has a plug screw. Any idea as to value? thanks again.

street

Hunter
flatgate said:
SteveRuger said:
the Hawkeye with the top strap drilled & tapped.

:shock:

flatgate

Yes I have seen one that some fool drilled the top strap to mount a scope!! Why they didn't use the two factory drilled holes in the barrel, I don't know?????

contender

Ruger Guru
Not to hijack the thread, but since y'all brought up a D&T Hawkeye, I own one that some IDIOT did that to.
AAAAARRRRRGGGGG!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
street said:
flatgate said:
SteveRuger said:
the Hawkeye with the top strap drilled & tapped.

:shock:

flatgate

Yes I have seen one that some fool drilled the top strap to mount a scope!! Why they didn't use the two factory drilled holes in the barrel, I don't know?????

I have suspected for some time, that those D&T holes(Yes, some have more than one)in the top straps of the 256 WM Hawkeye, occurred because of the following reasons: 1) The owner did not like the Bushnell Phantom setup(one pc. base and 1 or 2 power scope) 2) The Owner's gunsmith had other offerings, mount-wise, and/or other ideas/scope recommendations for the uninformed Owner. 3) the two pc. Bushnell molybdenum post base ring setup was late in arrival in the accessorie market or was unknown to the Owner or gunsmith, or both.
That extra hole or more has made many excellent collectable Hawkeyes
into shooter/type level guns, with a resulting lower value. This applies, likewise, to D&T 357, 44 mag Flattops and Super Blackhawks. :roll: :shock:

radicalrod

Hunter
Well maybe they got drilled and tapped because they weren't HOT SELLERS and nobody really was worried about collecting them in the day.....lots of stories where you could have bought one new for about 25% of what a box brings these days :lol: :lol: :lol: I am talking about the HAWKEYE of course..... RR.

street

Hunter
radicalrod said:
Well maybe they got drilled and tapped because they weren't HOT SELLERS and nobody really was worried about collecting them in the day.....lots of stories where you could have bought one new for about 25% of what a box brings these days :lol: :lol: :lol: I am talking about the HAWKEYE of course..... RR.

In 1963 you could count the number of Ruger collectors on your hand. And probably have a few fingers left over. That's why no one thought about keeping any Ruger as it came from the factory. I guess the only ones that were collecting Rugers were the serial number guys. Most of those were Vendors and Sports Writers, that Ruger sent guns to to keep them happy and to get the best price from them, or to get a good magazine article from. Rugers were just a cheap hand gun that you didn't have to spend a fortune on, that the working guy could buy and enjoy. If you were a collector, then you wanted a Smith or Colt. So drilling an extra hole into an $87.50 gun that you probably bought a lot cheaper because no one wanted a single shot gun that shot .256 Win. Mag. round, didn't mean a whole lot.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Street, that's what I meant to say :lol: :lol: :lol: back then HAWKEYE's didn't cost $2500 with out the box :shock: :shock: :shock: in 1963 I was only 6 years old :roll: :roll: :roll: didn't buy my first RUGER till 19 years later in 1982.....RR.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well when I was 16 I had a chance to buy a 65 convertible from the neighbor for the HUGE SUM of $1500 but my MOM said NO WAY....he sold it to a slightly older kid that proceeded to cut the fenders with a sawzall to get the oversize MICKEY THOMSON slicks to fit :lol: :lol: :lol: I waited another 28 years to buy my 65 Vette and it cost a little more than $1500 :shock: :shock: :shock: several years ago I traded the 65 for a pickup truck load of RUGERS :D :D :D Always lots of woulda's shouda's coulda's in life...they make great stories later on .....see ya RR.

street

Hunter
radicalrod said:
Hey Street, that's what I meant to say :lol: :lol: :lol: back then HAWKEYE's didn't cost $2500 with out the box :shock: :shock: :shock: in 1963 I was only 6 years old :roll: :roll: :roll: didn't buy my first RUGER till 19 years later in 1982.....RR.

In 1963 I was 22 years old and I looked at the Hawkeye a bunch of times. I could never talk myself into buying it because everytime I looked at it I would think that it should be a six shooter, not a single shot. I always thought that if I bought it I would be cheated because it looked like a six shooter but it was not. Sometime in the 70s I saw one at a gun show for the price of $250. Boy that was out of my price range then, and I kicked myself for not buying it when I had the chance. When I finally bought one I had to pay $1000 for it. But that was OK because I was a collector then :lol: :roll: :cry: .

A friend of mine that worked in a gun shop had a distributor call him up and he said that he had 5 Hawkeyes that he would let go at his price. That was somewhere in the $50.00 range. My friend said that he didn't want them because he couldn't sell them, nobody wanted them back then. They were next to impossible to get rid of then. If only we knew.

Latest posts