BKH47 and a quick question on stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zeus

Blackhawk
Here are a few bad pics of a BKH47 that I picked up recently. Finally got a copy of the "letter" from Ruger confirming the 7.5" barrel. A buddy found some stocks for it at a local collectors show but I have a question about them. I was looking at them and they seem to have a little bit of "shaping" at the top of them towards the rear at the top of the backstrap. They don't look like they have been worked on so I was wondering if that slight tapering at the top rear was normal for the older stocks. They are a little small on the front strap also but overall, they fit pretty good everywhere else. I'll probably keep my eyes open for another set in the mean time just to see if I can find some that may fit the aluminum frame a little better in the front but I'm happy even if I don't find any more :) . I sure like the looks of the gun after I got them put on today though (Thanks Bob!). I really like this sixgun. The overall condition is very good and it just feels great in the hand.

101_0732-1.jpg

101_0736-1.jpg

101_0735.jpg

Zeus

Blackhawk
Thanks! Just never have seen any of them before and was curious of the contouring. As I said, they didn't appear to have any work done to them but I figured I'd ask. Thanks again! They feel really good :)

mike722

Buckeye
Yep, they look contoured.. Ruger switched to the non-contoured grips right about late 1958, so that gun may need the non-contoured grips to be absolutely "proper"..

Zeus

Blackhawk
Thanks. That's good to know. I'll definitely look for some then. I can always sell these if I find some I guess :)

Zeus

Blackhawk
Bob, I don't care if that 10" had handmade Smith grips on it, if I had the money right this second, it would already be on its way here! :) That's a really pretty old sixgun and just neat to see.

GS

Serious question:

How can the contoured grips be "incorrect" when it's totally possible for a later gun to have been shipped with them, considering the "parts bin" scenario??

My February 1960 BKH47 has contoured panels that were on it when I got it, and I'm keeping it just "as is".

I don't know of any way to document the lumber on these old pieces. It may well be "unusual" for this situation to occur, but I cannot see that it's impossible.

Educate me.

:)

mike722

Buckeye
Oh, it is not impossible..we've seen stranger things on Rugers.. but, the "norm" for guns after late '58 or so were the non-contoured grips.. I'm not saying though that it didn't ship that way..

Zeus

Blackhawk
Matt, I didn't get an email. Try this one

gswaggart AT aquaterra-env.com

We can work out a deal on the spare set I'm sure :) Thanks!!

chet15

Hawkeye
Zeus:
Send me a PM on the sn of your 7-1/2" flattop so I can put that in my notes. I'm keeping notes on as many of those scarce barrel lengths as I can. And every once in a while I'm able to pair up a couple for two happy individuals.
Chet15

Latest posts