Engraved Colt SAA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
GUYS.....take a really long tight look at this. Even with the image degradation on the net you can see numerous slips and ill run lines, crooked circles and that is the self evident stuff. TAKE a really close look then at the small lines.
This COLT look like it was engraved with a sledgehammer and a cold chisel.
For a quick example of how it should really look if done by a skilled engraver take out a dollar bill and have a looksee at real engraving. This COLT pistol should not---NOT !!!---look one whit less impressive than the engraving on that money you're perusing.

yeah, just a bit harsh, and if one goes back in time to those days , some of the "old money" was a bit crude in its form then also...no comparison to todays and our "standards", its that deep style (relief) of engraving that makes it even look a bit 'rougher'....not MY cup of tea, but seems to be the work of possibly some-one "apprenticing' their craft..........
neat story,but then again, EVERY gun has its' own tale to tell...........some just 'better' than others :wink:

Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I'd love to own that revolver. Considering the deep relief engraving, that Dan pointed out, and the time period of the engraving, it is a wonderful specimen.

The engraving was likely done with the naked eye and without benefit of today's lighted magnifiers and tooling.

Wheelgunner

Chance

Buckeye
+1 to Wheelgunner. One of the neatest engraved Colts I have seen was also the crudest. Obviously done by some unknown cowboy, probably around the campfire over many years, the gun was almost totally covered with various cattle brands and SW cactus. Maybe "engraving" is the wrong term for this gun as it looked more like it was done with a nail to to punch/dot the design. Saw it at a gun show in Tombstone, AZ last year and wanted it so bad I think I was slobbering. Never got an answer to how much he wanted.

americal

Hunter
NOW that is and engraved SA that has the patina :!: and the real done by hand look -- I do not favor engraved guns most of the time --but that has THE look and if you don't see it --you never will ----was in the antique business for years on the side and read a book called --Buy it Ratty and leave it alone--not a Ratty gun by a long shot :lol: CHARACTER rules the day 8)

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
GUYS.....take a really long tight look at this. Even with the image degradation on the net you can see numerous slips and ill run lines, crooked circles and that is the self evident stuff. TAKE a really close look then at the small lines.
This COLT look like it was engraved with a sledgehammer and a cold chisel.
For a quick example of how it should really look if done by a skilled engraver take out a dollar bill and have a looksee at real engraving. This COLT pistol should not---NOT !!!---look one whit less impressive than the engraving on that money you're perusing.

No, thats a new rope, don't hang me with that one!!!! Just kidding of course