While Out & About Today........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
I spent my day yesterday doing a tour of Nor Cal gun shops & visited seven shops. I found the following;

M77/44RS, s/n 740-00140, LNIB (no manual though). The store clerk said the owner thought the s/n made it special. Something to do with maybe a subscription number? $850

OM Blackhawk (BKH42), sn 718. Not for sale at this time.

A few Ruger OM Blackhawk .357 & .44 Flattops.

A Standard Auto (RST4) Black Eagle normal bolt ears, s/n 12xxxx

A few nice S&W Model 36's, some with the older flat latch thumb cylinder release buttons & pinned barrels. Some with five screws & three screws. Also, a few nice S&W Model 37's with the pinned barrels.

Recently I was given a S&W 36 box (later blue two piece, with markings of Bangor Punta Company). The box end label is date stamped with APR 29,1976 & hand written is "N" in the Finish box & "3" in Barrel box. The s/n is J397355, putting it in the 1976-1977 time frame. There is a date of April 15,1955 on the inside bottom half of box. There is a manual & the only dates I can find are; Prices effective March 12,1973 & July 4, 1975 is referenced in the warrenty info paragraph. Included with the box is a brochure on Smith & Wesson Ammunition & brown preservative paper. I have been known to bring empty gun boxes & firearms together in the paste. Therefore, my interest in the S&W Model 36. Good day even though I didn't buy anything!

lmd

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I'd venture that the 77/44 was one of the low serial number guns that Ruger put on a truck and sent to Davidsons' about three years ago. the guns were sold as normal production w/o any fanfare........What a shame..... :?

chet15

Hawkeye
140 was the original subscription number for George Wilson (Wilson Barrels). Although I do show a few 140's going to both Williams and Davidson's, I don't show either of those two distributors getting the 77/44.
I also have the name Jay Hansen by that number with a question mark.
Chet15

lovemydals

Buckeye
Last Saturday, I stopped by the NorCal gun shop that has the 77/44RS for sale & questioned the asking price of $850. I was told that it's on consignment & that is what the seller listed it at. In the lastest edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values one in 100% condition is valued at $580. Any comments?

lmd

LMD, that S&W box is for a mid 70's 36 3-inch and a nickel finish, and sounds like all the proper papers ,ads (inserts) that 1955 date on the bottom,inside of the lid is the S&W company 'patent or copyright' date for the nomenclature..it is on the inside of MOST of the lids before and during that era.......tough to bring the "original gun AND its box" together....maybe a same vintage piece, but seldom the "exact match"...good luck

radicalrod

Hunter
Well it can be done :lol: :lol: :lol: seems I did it the other way...bought the gun first then found the numbered box on Ebay some time later :shock: :shock: :shock: BKH3 serial number 96 and then NON CAT box with 96 on the left side just like it should be.....had the right time frame 57 paper in the box too.....sometimes it is good to be LUCKY.....RR.

radicalrod said:
Well it can be done :lol: :lol: :lol: seems I did it the other way...bought the gun first then found the numbered box on Ebay some time later :shock: :shock: :shock: BKH3 serial number 96 and then NON CAT box with 96 on the left side just like it should be.....had the right time frame 57 paper in the box too.....sometimes it is good to be LUCKY.....RR.

:shock: 8) :lol: & a Dog Named Mo!

lovemydals

Buckeye
rugerguy,

Any idea of value of this S&W box? I lost interest, as finding the correct S&W 36 in original condtion is a long shot. I would rather buy a Ruger.

lmd

Latest posts