44 Flattop Value, should I buy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had the opportunity today to purchase a march 1957 built 44 Flattop w/four digit S/N, Ruger Stag grips and walnut grips, and original box numbered to gun in almost new condition for $3,500.00, I thought the price too high but asked for a day to consider......

I need the experts to tell me should I buy this, what is a reasonable counter offer, etc.

Thanks for your help!!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
I thought the price too high but asked for a day to consider......

Provenance is paramount! Of course, a good visual inspection of the item in question is also very important.

Pics! In this day and age a seller had damn well be able to produce detailed digital images of the firearm listed for sale........

JMHO,

flatgate

Cholo

Staff member
The pros have spoken! Now the lay person who just happens to like Ruger SA's the best.

1) Why would you consider this gun for $3500?
2) Will you shoot it or keep it as a safe queen?
3) Are the stags worth it considering the price and are they period correct?
4) It took me way too long to realize how much a box is worth. Is it worth that much to you?
5) Are the walnut grips matched to the gun? Do you care?

Beware of "Gun Lust"! Been there. It does sound like one I'd at least like to lay eyeballs on :wink:

Cholo said:
The pros have spoken! Now the lay person who just happens to like Ruger SA's the best.

1) Why would you consider this gun for $3500?
2) Will you shoot it or keep it as a safe queen?
3) Are the stags worth it considering the price and are they period correct?
4) It took me way too long to realize how much a box is worth. Is it worth that much to you?
5) Are the walnut grips matched to the gun? Do you care?

Beware of "Gun Lust"! Been there. It does sound like one I'd at least like to lay eyeballs on :wink:
\

Thanks for making me analyze my thoughts on this gun, let me see if I can answer your questions:

1. For $3500.00 I would not, but he showed me the gun then told me the asking price, he "set the hook" but I didn't bite...yet!
2. Safe Queen, would not buy a gun in this condition if I wanted a shooter.
3.I am not 100% sure as I did not ask to remove the stags or put on the walnuts as I believe that is NOT right unless I was serious about buying at his price and was going to commit then and there....they looked right to me based on what I have learned from the knowledgeable members here on the forum ( to whom I am always grateful)
4. Yes, I definitely value the "complete" package and understand and appreciate the value of the box,etc, Some would call me obsessive about it! :oops: :oops:
5. See response #3..

My guess is someone with deeper pockets or greater lust than I will bite on it and buy it for $3200.00+/- ...

flatgate said:
Nh Rugerman said:
I thought the price too high but asked for a day to consider......

Provenance is paramount! Of course, a good visual inspection of the item in question is also very important.

Pics! In this day and age a seller had damn well be able to produce detailed digital images of the firearm listed for sale........

JMHO,

flatgate

It was done FTF so I do not have pictures to share with you ..everything looked right to my amatuer eyes...believe me, if I had pics, I would have posted them to help you and the other pro's assist me.

thanks

flatgate

Hawkeye
:D

217501463.jpg

The stags are on one of my Single-Sixes..... :D

flatgate

I agree with all of the above, and as cholo called "gun lust" , we call , "the pucker factor..." just how bad do YOU have to want that gun???
just MAYBE for a 2 digit gun??? possibly a low, 3 but wether #100 or #999 , its still 3 digits, and better than a 4 digit gun........
NO, far too much, maybe in another 6-10 years, but what s the dollar gonna be worth :roll:

radicalrod

Hunter
So keep it 10 years and be happy :lol: :lol: :lol: lots of time to catch up with the price.....I have a few I have bought that I need some time for the prices to catch up :roll: :roll: :roll: seriously I would not pay that much for a 4 digit gun.....easily a thousand too much for me.....YMMV, see ya RR.