Savage 1899 in .22 Hi-Power

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
A buddy has a Savage 1899 (made in 1915) chambered in 22 Hi-Power. My dad and I were discussing it yesterday. We "need" it like we need a hole in the head, but I was just looking for opinions on the rifle and the caliber.

The gun has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount so it has lost most of its collector value, and would mainly be an occasional shooter. I see that a couple of European manufacturers still load for it (as the 5.6x52R).

Anybody have one? What do you think...

SR

HI I have owned 2 of them over the years sold both if your a 99 collector you got to have one they can be fussy to handload some like a little bigger diameter bullet 224-227 neat varment gun some old timers used them on deer and yes you can get ammo from seller and balliot I know I spelled that wrong

GRAMPS

single action

Single-Sixer
just had mine redone, picked it up cheap after a basement flood, when if first came out it was touted as the caliber to end all calibers, it is still popular as noted above in Europe. Had glenrock blue do the work on the gun and it is outstanding, they do book pretty good check the condition and refer to the blue book. Very neat gun and caliber and is one of the outstanding models for the 99 Savage. IMHO single action.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Savage 99's are my favorite vintage rifle but I do not have one in that caliber. Sounds like tons of fun as a shooter since it is ready to rock for a scope.