some Ruger stags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike722

Buckeye
397677225.jpg

397677227.jpg

came across these the other day..kinda interesting, not very "thick", especially the right panel..

Look good to us, as for the "thick" (phatt) they used to try and "fit" a shooter, wether right or left handed , and have a bit of "palm swell" in the shooting hand, and thinner on the opposite side,seen them either way over the years as well as "universal", BOTH either thin or thick.........
that is NICE when you can pick out what "fits" YOU...........gotta rememebr most people are righ handed, so that would be more common.......
also some folks do not care to "shoot" grips with LOTS of bark, so they would polish some of the bark off.........smooth 'em up.

americal

Hunter
I really like them :!: a little different in the BARK 8) Some grips so uniformed but these just 8) remember several co. made these--RIGHT--- so some people were I'm guessing paid very little money to make what was to them not a big deal --see all kinds of configurations--these are neat------

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well, I'm going to spout off here......... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've NEVER seen Factory Stags with the medallion placement different between both panels. Exception: "bark" or a "too thin section".

A lack of bevel at the "butt" is also "out of character".

JMHO,

flatgate

PS Case in Point

146541272.jpg

Nice Grips! Everything looks good except the medallion placement. I've put this pair in my "after-market box".

americal

Hunter
I've seen the birds off a little like those on a few of the grips at Ruger theme shows by RCA. The guys were big names in ruger collecting---I really don't worry with it unless the staking is not right--saw two pair out of an estate that was so thin --it looked like you could snap them into & Dougan said factory, the bevel not pronounced on those but some of the workers did a sorry job. just a guess guys any pair could be fake :? I'm talking like I know something :roll: I think flatgates are factory if the staking is correct----- :) the staker did not care so out the door just a pair of grips--who cares where the bird is in the 1950s :lol: Just like blueing problems.

flatgate

Hawkeye
americal said:
I've seen the birds off a little like those on a few of the grips at Ruger theme shows by RCA. The guys were big names in ruger collecting---I really don't worry with it unless the staking is not right--saw two pair out of an estate that was so thin --it looked like you could snap them into & Dougan said factory, the bevel not pronounced on those but some of the workers did a sorry job. just a guess guys any pair could be fake :? I'm talking like I know something :roll: I think flatgates are factory if the staking is correct----- :) the staker did not care so out the door just a pair of grips--who cares where the bird is in the 1950s :lol: Just like blueing problems.

What the pics don't show is the "brushed finish/dull medallions". Here's the backs....

146541278.jpg

Here's what I call Factory Stags...

65840143.jpg

This pair has a rougher finish but still look OK, IMHO.

146541285.jpg

Well, then there's these rather scarce "white grips"..... :roll:

119416767.jpg

flatgate

mike722

Buckeye
oh yeah, I really like the "white" ones!!
196602306.jpg

196602308.jpg

and the not-so-white ones..

20669410.jpg

this pair of stags has lots of bark, and still has "$8.50" written in pencil on the back of one panel...
33677556.jpg

33677569.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Well when I displayed my 44's with stag and ivory grips attached I never once said factory anytime or where just to avoid all the crap that comes with the word "FACTORY"...........even though I read someone else called them "FACTORY".......the grip discussion always ends badly......I buy em only if "I" like em :lol: :lol: :lol: don't have time to worry about all the experts :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Sorry.but I don't see this discussion, or for the matter, the vast number of previous "factory stag" discussions "ending badly". In the end we are exchanging information, experience, known measurments, exceptions and personal anecdotes. Some times we even note "those" who make their own "factory" grip panel sets. After four plus decades of serious pursuits, I have much to share, so tighten you seat belt and stay for the ride. Obviously, some will not agree or like what they hear or read.......Not my concern and I have chosen to not be quiet. Collecting and accumulating grows through information exchange. What's next? 8)

yep, over the years have seen many pairs of "mismatched" mainly due to the "breaking", during staking early on...... do you really think if they broke ONE, they thew the ;other; one away???ABSOLUTELY not, they tried to match them up as close as they could and put 'em on, and shipped them out. One of the reasons we ALWAYS say, "if it looks TOO good, caveat emptor......" :wink:
gotta remember many of the fakes are "perfect" , they had all these years to get it down right??? :shock: