Made in China

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shep

Single-Sixer
Some assort firearms made in China. Some are surprisingly good quality like the little ATD-22 and M14 copy, the O/U shotgun is rather low quality, the rest are somewhere inbetween.

chinessoverunder-1.jpg

Chinese O/U 12ga ugly, clunky, awful triggers, but it does work I guess

m14-1.jpg

M14 .308 Well it`s not a Springfield M1A, but the quality is surprisingly good (or maybe I just have low expectations about anything made in China)

mak-90-1.jpg

Mak-90 7.62x39 Russian

at-22-1.jpg

ATD-22 .22LR copy of the little Browning take down (for a cheapy copy, this is an excellent little rifle

tokarev-1.jpg

A Chinese Tokarev 7.62x25

ttolypia-1.jpg

TT Olympia .22LR A copy of the old Walther Olympic A little crudely finished, but a decent shooter

Snake45

Hawkeye
Shep said:
m14-1.jpg

M14 .308 Well it`s not a Springfield M1A, but the quality is surprisingly good (or maybe I just have low expectations about anything made in China)
Norinco or Polytech?

I bought a Poly in the early '90s, figuring it was pretty much junk but worth what I paid for it as a wall-hanger and "TV gun" (something to manipulate while I watch TV). Found out a decade later that they have forged receivers and overall aren't bad except for overly generous headspace. Replaced the bolt with a TRW GI unit and it's run fine! Kinda sorry now I didn't shoot it years before!

Shep

Single-Sixer
[/quote]
Norinco or Polytech?

I bought a Poly in the early '90s, figuring it was pretty much junk but worth what I paid for it as a wall-hanger and "TV gun" (something to manipulate while I watch TV). Found out a decade later that they have forged receivers and overall aren't bad except for overly generous headspace. Replaced the bolt with a TRW GI unit and it's run fine! Kinda sorry now I didn't shoot it years before![/quote]

It`s a Poly.

Never had any trouble with it. It even eats cheap steel case ammo.
Not as accurate as a Garand or M1A. But for a third the cost of an M1A, you can`t really expect match accuracy.

Lee H

Bearcat
Shep,
I have the same Chinese shotgun you have. It certainly is just as you describe. I kept the owners manual because it is so darned funny. It states that the shotgun was made by the Changan Automobile Company !!!??? I can imagine a couple of guys standing around the water cooler when one said " hey, I bet we could make a shotgun!" Then another said "yeah, we got the machine we make car axles on, couldn't we use that?" The manual sounds like it was translated right from Chinese to English with no regard for English grammar. What is not so funny is the manual states that the chamber pressure is rated at 53.94 MPa's. That is about 7500 psi, which is a light skeet load.
I also have a Chinese Tokarev pistol. It was in 9 mm, but I found a 7.62x25 mm barrel, and got another 9mm barrel reamed out to 9mm largo. It will shoot three different rounds by simply changing the barrel. Your pistol looks like it has a Russian slide on it. The slide serrations look Russian.
Safe shooting,
Lee H.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Lee H said:
Shep,
I have the same Chinese shotgun you have. It certainly is just as you describe. I kept the owners manual because it is so darned funny. It states that the shotgun was made by the Changan Automobile Company !!!??? I can imagine a couple of guys standing around the water cooler when one said " hey, I bet we could make a shotgun!" Then another said "yeah, we got the machine we make car axles on, couldn't we use that?" The manual sounds like it was translated right from Chinese to English with no regard for English grammar. What is not so funny is the manual states that the chamber pressure is rated at 53.94 MPa's. That is about 7500 psi, which is a light skeet load.
I also have a Chinese Tokarev pistol. It was in 9 mm, but I found a 7.62x25 mm barrel, and got another 9mm barrel reamed out to 9mm largo. It will shoot three different rounds by simply changing the barrel. Your pistol looks like it has a Russian slide on it. The slide serrations look Russian.
Safe shooting,
Lee H.

The Tokarev has Chinese markings on the frame. Probably one of those made from whatever new and spare parts they had sitting around at the time..
That`s probably not uncommon with 2nd and 3rd world firearms.
No idea of the history of it. And I don`t really know much about east block firearms. It might be a recent import, or could be an old war bring back.
Might even be a Russian gun that was sold to China and reissued there with freash markings, then later exported or surlused from there. I don`t know enough about these guns to even know what to look for to tell.
And I guess I was never really interested enough to spend the time to learn. I`ve always just considered it an odd shooter that could use the cheap surplus 7.62x25 ammo that was on the market a few years back.

I`ve never been a big fan of the AK patern rifles either. But bought the Mak-90 to use surplus 7.62x39R ammo that they used to import so cheap for centerfire plinking. You used to be able to buy that stuff for considerably less than you could reload .308 or 30-06 ammo.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Lee H said:
Shep,
Safe shooting,
Lee H.

Mystery solved on the Tokarev. After taking the time to look at the pics and the gun again, I screwed up on what pic I posted. That one is one that was made in Poland. It belongs to my dad.
Must have got the pics placed in the wrong files on the PC.

toysoldier

Hunter
I bought one of the ATD-22 rifles back when I had an FFL. I'd wanted a Browning since high school, when a classmate brought one to the hunter safety course. The Norinco has a very nice outside finish, interior is a little rough, but it hasn't jammed yet and shoots great. One of these years, I may get around to shortening the barrel to 16".

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
VAL FORGETT of Navy Arms gave me one of those Chinese OLYMPIA 22 pistols for testing. It put the first eight rounds dead center in the target in one little hole, at 25 yards.The gun was beautifully make but the stocks had to be made by the biggest chopstick company in China; I never saw such white wood before in my life !!!

Shep

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
VAL FORGETT of Navy Arms gave me one of those Chinese OLYMPIA 22 pistols for testing. It put the first eight rounds dead center in the target in one little hole, at 25 yards.The gun was beautifully make but the stocks had to be made by the biggest chopstick company in China; I never saw such white wood before in my life !!!

The one I have could have been finished a little better. You can see tool marks here and there, nothing serious. The trigger is a little heavy, but it`s crisp.
And like you said, it`s pretty accurate. It`s no match for a real target pistol, but much better than I expected from a cheapie from Chins.
I don`t remember what I paid for it, but it wasn`t very much.