Ruger OM RSS9X, Shipped 1965

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I picked this one up recently. I had been looking for an Old Model RSS9X for quite some time without much luck. They don't seem too common, and according to Dougan's book, only account for about 8.5% of OM Single Six production.
This one shipped March, 1965. Unconverted, no box or papers and I'm sure being in CA I paid too much but it's in excellent shape and none of the screws looked like they had ever been touched. The insides were full of black goo, which I am pretty sure was Outers Gunslick, a graphite based grease that used to be popular and included in the cleaning kits. I think some former owner squirted it down in front of the hammer, through the hand slot and base pin hole. It has now been detail stripped, cleaned, lubed with modern oil & grease and is ready for another 50 years of service.
RugerRSS9X.jpg

americal

Hunter
A very desirable model 8) A lot of fun to shoot ---you have a very nice one --a collectors item--but shoot it ---no holster :lol: hate to rub that great blueing off :!:

chet15

Hawkeye
Serial number 413611?
Nice RSS9X, and real scarce in that condition. Of course, long barrels were a lot more worse for wear as compared to the also scarce 4-5/8" barrel length.
Let us know if your gun has "INC." in the barrel address. The serial number indicates it probably does, but the non "INC." variant is a lot rarer.
Chet15

americal

Hunter
I Forgot that chet :shock: plus I never have seen many 400 th. serial numbered guns of any RSS model in the south for sale--I would not shoot this gun---just to good thats JMHO :) see lots or a good many pre-fix 9.5 but NOT RSS9's non-prefix :arrow: a fine collectable-----

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Very nice piece, especially in that condition and being a convertible with non-prefix Serial #. Mine's a 1961 gun, Serial # 174XXX, and I'm very proud of it and having it in my meager collection. You did good, now look for a box and Bianchi holster for it.
HH

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
Serial number 413611?
Nice RSS9X, and real scarce in that condition. Of course, long barrels were a lot more worse for wear as compared to the also scarce 4-5/8" barrel length.
Let us know if your gun has "INC." in the barrel address. The serial number indicates it probably does, but the non "INC." variant is a lot rarer.
Chet15

Chet, it's S/N 413011 and yes, it does have the Inc. on the barrel address. I also have an RSSMX in the 401,000 S/N range that shipped in Aug, 1964. Dougan's book says the new die with the "Inc." was received by Ruger in June of '64 so my RSSMX must have been marked just prior to the new die being used and sat in inventory for a couple of months, nothing unusual I guess.

chet15

Hawkeye
Walter Rego said:
Chet, it's S/N 413011 and yes, it does have the Inc. on the barrel address. I also have an RSSMX in the 401,000 S/N range that shipped in Aug, 1964. Dougan's book says the new die with the "Inc." was received by Ruger in June of '64 so my RSSMX must have been marked just prior to the new die being used and sat in inventory for a couple of months, nothing unusual I guess.

Thanks for the sn note! Yes, I also like those early 4xxxxx and late 3xxxxx range 9-1/2" guns. You don't see many Single-Sixes in that range anyway, especially the 400000 to 41xxxx range and the 9-1/2" is especially tough.
The non-Inc guns are tough to figure out because they're pretty well mixed in with larger groups of "INC." marked guns. I think Ruger had the old non-Inc. die setting next to the newer INC die and accidently used it every now and then because they are known clear into the 43xxxx range.
Chet15