Ruger OA Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
I was looking at my Old Army collection today (I collect the 7 1/2" adjustable sight revolvers) & noticed several different nipple wrenches. I counted at least four variations & I didn't look at all of them.

My questions are;

1) How many variations of the Ruger Old Army nipple wrenches are there?
2) Were there any aftermarket nipple wrenches made?
3) If so, were they marked as the nipple wrenches supplied with the OA's?

Photos added:

In this photo are four variations of OA nipple wrenches found in my OA collection;
Imag20813.jpg

In this photo are five nipple wrenches with their brown envelopes that they came in;
Imag20804.jpg

In the next two photos is a first year production OA revolver with the flattop front sight blade;
Imag20785.jpg

Imag20786.jpg

In the next two photos is a second year production OA revolver with the ramp type front sight blade;
Imag20787.jpg

Imag20788.jpg

In the next two photos is a R.C.A. "1 of 100" OA revolver;
Imag20789.jpg

Imag20790.jpg

In the next two photos is a BP-7 OA revolver with the "Warning" rollmark on the barrel;
Imag20791.jpg

Imag20792.jpg

In the next two photos is a GKBP-7 High Polish Stanless OA revolver;
Imag20793.jpg

Imag20794.jpg

lmd

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice Collection! :D

Wow!

I have a few, including a "Flat Topped" front sight version, a couple of "brassies", a stainless 7-1/2" and a "fixed sight" shortie....

301689907.jpg

322638196.jpg

102016401.jpg

I don't think I have a pic of the "Flat Topped" front sight version.. :roll:

flatgate

lovemydals

Buckeye
flatgate,

Thanks!

These OA's are a sampling of my OA collection & I focused only on the 7 1/2" adjustable sight variation. Of the 25 OA's that I have in my collection, three are duplicates. I have an extra consecutive pair of R.C.A. "1 of 200" OA's (s/n's 145-01459 & 145-01460) & a second year production BP-7 OA with ramp type front sight blade that will be on the market soon. From my estimation, I figure there is another 12 to find to have a complete collection of 7 1/2" adjustable sight OA's.

lmd

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
LMD, I seem to recall that Leo Shuck wrote an RCA Journal article about the nipple wrench variations. Not sure if it would help you since you may have already learned more than he presented in the article.

BTW, I still owe you $15 and just happened into an H&R that might interest you.

lovemydals

Buckeye
weaselmeatgravy,

Thanks for the info. Do you know which RCA Journal that this article is in? It would be interesting to read it.

Yeah, I remember the transaction that resulted in you owing me $15. Though, I wasn't concerned about it. I was figuring that you might have something that may interest me that I could apply my credit to. So, tell me about this H&R you happened into.

lmd

Latest posts