Odd T678 Auto pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Anyone notice any thing odd about this gun :? It is a Ruger T678 Target model.

T678doublestamp004.jpg

T678doublestamp003.jpg

I will give the answer after a few guess's :shock:

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Rear sight,??? Looks like a single action adjustable.

I sure missed on this one. The Forum is still the best place to learn about Rugers.

yessir, its a 'rebarreled' RST..................sights 'added' :roll:

(at least when we did them we removed all the 'PC' verses.....last one was a RST and we put on a 5 1/4 inch barrel, that should open some eyes if it ever pops up on the open market.......) 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
How does the gun letter Rick? Not having the Mark I rollmark on the left side of the receiver would indicate it did leave as a Standard....but if it truly letters as T678??? Would mean Ruger didn't get the receiver Warning rollmark out of there after doing a batch of Standards...then this gun came along.
I'm also curious if the trigger is steel or aluminum? Looks like the thicker aluminum trigger, but?
Chet15

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
It screams standard that has had the barrel replaced. Wouldn't the T678 say "Target" on the receiver also?

Thats what we said............."RST...." and also have seen others as well as a having "done" some ourselves...............many 'parts' guys have had barrels from this or that for as long as we remember, besides, the guy we bought LOTS of our 'police department' destroyed' frames, parts left over guns......used to be a dealer at the Monroeville ,PA show sold them every show, I know , we bought LOTS from them, as well as other 'PD's........they used to make money selling the "parts" and did their "job" as long as the 'frame, serial numbered part, was in fact "destroyed" ( dewatted) same went for military firearms, our government tax dollars at work...... 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
My point is though, the factory is full of humans, who make errors all the time. Yes, there's a big 99.9 percent chance the gun started life as a Standard. But if somebody got that receiver in the machine somehow thinking the gun was a standard, it could very easily have received a double Warning rollmark.
Is no different than putting the wrong serial numbers on a gun (i.e. the T510- prefixed stainless .44 Specials.....somebody numbered them with a Vaquero serial number, and they sure aren't Vaquero's). I can also think of at least one other (maybe two) .22 auto rollmarking errors that Pverzal has, so anything is possible.
A factory letter will verify it.
Chet15 (who never discounts anything without at least a chance by the factory to verify or refute....there's too much rare "factory" original stuff out there that nobody's even heard of yet). :)

Chet, I have a real hard time believing that the roll-marking setup to mark the receiver would also be able to mark the barrel. They are different diameters and different profiles (the receiver being cylindrical and the barrel being tapered). Should take a different roll die, I'd think, and very likely a different setup.

Or is that not what you meant?

Myself, I subscribe to Occam's razor in such matters . . . in this case, a re-barrel.

JMHO
:)

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Chet, I have a real hard time believing that the roll-marking setup to mark the receiver would also be able to mark the barrel. They are different diameters and different profiles (the receiver being cylindrical and the barrel being tapered). Should take a different roll die, I'd think, and very likely a different setup.

Or is that not what you meant?

Myself, I subscribe to Occam's razor in such matters . . . in this case, a re-barrel.

JMHO
:)

All rollmarks are done at different times in order to change the rollmark head or rollmark profile, so this gun could not have had both rollmarks applied at the same time.
A batch of guns is rollmarked in the one position, then the jigging is changed and the batch rollmarked in a different position for a different rollmark or the serial number.
Again...chances are this gun left the factory as a Standard. But it would not be beyond human error to have had a warning rollmarked receiver go through the process again to also put the warning rollmark on the barrel.
Again....only the factory will be able to verify what model it left as.
Another example....RSSM serial number 342198 has both the .22 Mag. rollmark on the left side of the frame as well as the standard Single-Six rollmark over the top of the first mag. rollmark. Here again you have two different models rolled with two different "model" rollmarks, the rollmarks applied at different times, but while the gun was being mfg.
I can very easily see a T678 barreled receiver go through the Warning rollmark setup of a Standard (warning on the receiver), then the employee catches his error somewhere during the batch, then also puts a Warning rollmark (with different profile) onto the barrel side.
We are all human and anything is possible.
Chet15

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I left a message with records just waiting for the letter. Here are a couple strange roll marks. Upside down roll marks....
RST6 model
fc757713.jpg

The box it was shipped in.
53ff7a4a.jpg

And a RST4. Serial number 10-09495 even the serial number has been double stamped...
088c2f22.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
RPM Enterprises said:
Here are a couple strange roll marks. Upside down roll marks....
RST6 model
fc757713.jpg

And a RST4. Serial number 10-09495 even the serial number has been double stamped...
088c2f22.jpg

Yep....the employees weren't paying much attention with these two either. Its just not a perfect world.
Chet15