Ruger Blackhawk Stainless convertible question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TX50Cal

Bearcat
I was offered a trade of a 7 1/2" unfired with box, sleeve, papers, Ruger letter, stainless convertable Blackhawk with production code of KBN 45X. I would be trading an unfired Winchester 1885 in .223. Would this be a good trade? I am not a collector and would probably be selling the gun anyway. I was asking $800 for my rifle. Thanks for any info.
Dave in TX

Both nice guns, and both of them would fill someones "niche", but bottom line, market value wise, YOUR Win 1886 is a worth around $250 plus, over the Ruger Blackhawk, convertible..... MORE far as I am concerned, but thats what we "see" and what I "perceive",my .02 cents...happy Fourth of July

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I disagree with the above two responses. The last stainless steel convertible 45 that I sold, also a 7.5" bbl and also NIB, I sold for $750, shipped. That is an actual price from an actual sale, right here on this forum.

FYI, as another point of reference, RENE price guide says $755.

BB45C

as I said , I've "seen" the Winchesters push well into the $900-1000 range, I 've NEVER sold ANY new model convertible for anywhere near that,including the Buckeyes,soooooo.............
bottom line is if BOTH parties are "happy" then go for it, far be it for us to tell you what to do................
I KNOW which of them I'd rather have on my table at such as the OGCA, they would NOT give the Ruger a 'second' look 8)

street

Hunter
rugerguy said:
as I said , I've "seen" the Winchesters push well into the $900-1000 range, I 've NEVER sold ANY new model convertible for anywhere near that,including the Buckeyes,soooooo.............
bottom line is if BOTH parties are "happy" then go for it, far be it for us to tell you what to do................
I KNOW which of them I'd rather have on my table at such as the OGCA, they would NOT give the Ruger a 'second' look 8)

Rugerguy! Not wanting to start an argument or anything. I just stating my observations. You seem to buy and by the same token you seem to sell guns at somewhat lower price then most people. When you put a gun up for sale it usually doesn't last very long, so your prices would appear to be bargains. I would say that the prices you quote would be for a quick sale in a reasonably amount of time. Higher prices that are quoted for the value of guns would be for collectors looking for this exact model to fill a hole in their collection. This price may take some time to get as the right person need to come along. As for who is right on the value of a gun. A gun is only worth what you can get out of it. It seen that as fast as your guns sell you are correct a lot quicker then the people that have higher prices on their guns. :lol:

I was told by an old gun dealer years ago. "If you put a price on a gun and it sell then you put too low a price on it. If you put a price on a gun and it doesn't sell then you put too much on it. With this logic you are wrong all of the time. :roll:

Oh I agree, must be something when many of the dealers as well as some collectors buy from me, then put it out on their tables for sale.......BUT ,bottom line I see and know what market value actually ,NOT what it sits on a table or in a glass show case, but what they "sell/sold? for on the everyday , market, yes, "on line" you can find a guy in an out of the way spot, NO gun shops, NO gun shows, and they will "ocassionally " buy and pay TOP dollar, cause they cannot 'get one".....well if I buy them 'right' , I sell them right, I am NOT "in business" do NOT need the money to pay the light bill, this is a "hobby", and as I often say, many if not MOST of MY guns are in someone elses 'collection'....now I KNOW how it feels to give someone a GOOD deal,, and I know they know it, so whats the problem??? how would you you rather I be?? and I will NOT say or print the word that I would really like to say that I see far too many others 'are'............
I do look in the mirror every morning...... :wink:

NOw as to 'published values, which most all folks tend to use at any given gun show or dealers shop, the latest Blue Book of valuwes has the Ruger Blackhawk convertibel listed as $500,go down a bit on the page to see the 'premium' as to 'stainless' versus ,blue and they have about $25 more, example is on the Super BH, and if one looks in the WQinchester section, the 1885 ,not sure if yours is a 'Low wall' or the 'highwall' , and in the caliber you told us (.223) they are running in the $875 to $1000 range for 100% condition, I'll let you guys do the math as to the difference, as I said to ME around $250 or MORE.....pretty close to what I said off the top of my head at the unset.............
Oh and last Medina guns show, we sold a stainless 45 Bisley Blackhawk convertible for $599...... 8)
Much rather have had that 1885 Winchester, again.......... :roll:

Thanks 'splitz' and as you well know, I do most if not ALL my "dealing"?? face to face or at a gun show, NOT on the internet, so I do tend to keep up with the local prices/market. of whats selling and whats NOT................
I would LOVE to get ' RENE' at ANY time for one of the collectibles we sell,. and NO thats NOT a dig or rub at the 'RENE" cause thats what the "collectors" are telling us, BUT condition is EVERYTHING and MOST folks do NOT have the gun as noted, in the "condition" that the collectors would pay for it or its NOT 'rare' or scarce, and they "pass" on the ordinary, common, everyday stuff...I know I have LOTS of it on the table from time to time, and have sen some here on the ';classifieds, and its NOT moving unless "priced" right............

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
NOw as to 'published values, which most all folks tend to use at any given gun show or dealers shop, the latest Blue Book of valuwes has the Ruger Blackhawk convertibel listed as $500,go down a bit on the page to see the 'premium' as to 'stainless' versus ,blue and they have about $25 more, example is on the Super BH, and if one looks in the WQinchester section, the 1885 ,not sure if yours is a 'Low wall' or the 'highwall' , and in the caliber you told us (.223) they are running in the $875 to $1000 range for 100% condition, I'll let you guys do the math as to the difference, as I said to ME around $250 or MORE.....pretty close to what I said off the top of my head at the unset.............
Oh and last Medina guns show, we sold a stainless 45 Bisley Blackhawk convertible for $599...... 8)
Much rather have had that 1885 Winchester, again.......... :roll:

The stainless .45 Blackhawk convertibles though are like apples and oranges to the other stainless convertibles, (except early KBN36X). The stainless convertibles were a Davidson's exclusive in 1991 with quantities made reported as 537 KBN-44X, 77 KBN-455X and 659 KBN45X. There aren't any more.
When one takes into consideration what a comparative price for a new production stainless BKH convertible (blue non convertibles are $575, add $80 for a convertible) you'd be at $780 for a stainless convertible.
Now granted, nobody buys stuff for MSRP anymore, but if somebody is going to sell one of these for $500 you are selling it for a lot less than what your replacement cost would be.....if you could find one.
To me, any of them are worth the $750 if NIB with papers and the outer brown cardboard.
Collecting just seems to be going backwards for some folks, even with inflation and gun prices getting higher. Me, I'd rather keep up with the times so I can pay the bills.
And by the way, bluebook is nowhere complete for their listings even though several of us continue to try to change several items from year to year. Truth be known, the stainless .45 Blackhawk convertibles are really exempt from bluebook, because bluebook doesn't list distributor specials.
Chet15

Yes, Chad, absolutely and I agree, BUT as I said MOST folks use the Blue Book, and it has always been up to US, to 'help' them keep current as to the 'pricing' how many read the RENE versus the Blue book, preaching to the choir.................I recall some years back adding to input for the Blue book, even got our "free issue" for doing that,BUT the 'rare, scarce, distributor specials are NOT there, yes, some like the Lew Horton, S&W's even have their OWN section and pricing (to a point.....)
anyway, back to the OP, as said, the question is what would be better to have, sell, market, and WHERE????? yes, here on OUR 'fourm, of course the Ruger would be 'better' but out in the real everyday "free market" world, a different story...............
Good luck

TX50Cal

Bearcat
Would it be safe to assume if I posted this Ruger for sale at $650 and it is as described as far as NIB, papers, box, shipping sleeve etc. I could sell it fairly easy? He has offered to give me the gun and $200 cash.
Dave

Aha, the "pucker factor" he WANTS your gun, do you want his??
You Sir , are in the drivers seat...................
(and yes, thats a "better" offer, I'd still counter........at least 'try'..if the folks HERE want your "new" gun that bad, you'll get your money, sounds like you really just want to just 'move it' anyway.....)