BKH47 with character

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Pictured here is very likely the bu** ugliest 44 Flattop in existance today. Shipped in Jan of 1960 this gun, 2302x, it is so bad even Ruger only partially claims it. The nice lady's in records do admit it was shipped but do not have the original invoice. Couldn't even find it on micro-fish. Gun is unconverted, unsighted, un base pin latched and untrigger guarded. Close inspection reveals it has not been reblued although the grips are most likely not factory.
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE: the rifling is bright, sharp and shinny in the 7 1/2 bbl.
I like guns with character but this one really pushes the limit.
Just goes to show there is interesting stuff at shows outside of Ohio.

FT23027002.jpg

FT23027031.jpg

FT23027015.jpg

FT23027008.jpg

FT23027021.jpg

FT23027013.jpg

FT23027023.jpg

FT23027016.jpg

Oh my - I don't believe I could have left the building with those grips in my possession. Chance, you must have a strong stomach to still have those around, and still on the gun!

Any idea what they were doing with the cut-out on the trigger guard?

americal

Hunter
Well the gun is interesting-- makes me wonder what was going on :lol: I saw a RSS5 with a wooden base pin with a nail in the end to pull it out should have bought it but wanted 250.00 and it was rough :shock:

hey there is always 'hope,' we've redone quite a few, LOTS worse than yours,,,,,,you have the base there for a proper 'restoration' 8)

as you say,right now it is indeed "bu**ugly".......... 8)

and as for that trigger guard 'cutout' there were guns mainly Colts that this was called a "Fritz Special".........back in "the day"....... :wink:

americal

Hunter
Rugerguy your right I bet you could have that gun looking good at a decent price--making a great shooter 8) fun project :!: Really not a lot of dings in the gun --the grip frame really needs to go --get a flattop sight your in business :p

Chance

Buckeye
Have been going back and forth between parting it out, selling it to someone else for a project or doing it myself.

The guy I got it from said it was used as a "fast shooter", thus the modified triger guard.

Grips may get donated to Flatgate (if he wants 'em). The dungeon seems like a good storage place along with some of his other oddballs. I couldn't take them off before getting some pics to prove someone really did this. They appear to be made of resin and actually fit pretty well.

Okay Chance, I love projects like that! If you decide to sell the thing let me know if you would. Most of the parts ot put it back together are hiding in the parts box if I am not mistaken.

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
I've seen a few rough Rugers, but this is the first one that I ever mentally applied the term "rescue" to. That old dog has been abused! Look at the hammer!

First to the Vet, then to the shelter, then to a good home.

contender

Ruger Guru
Man, I have to agree on the bu## ugly factor.
However, I'd remove those grips, knock out the medallions, & trash the rest. Next, I'd remove the gripframe, and replace it with a correct one. I'd hunt up the proper rear sight, a replacement hammer, a base pin latch assy, and then have the whole thing re-blued.
The next time it got photographed would be to show what a true makeover looks like!

WARD

Single-Sixer
A few months back I walked into an experienced BKH47 at a local gun sellors and it followed me home. Mine was also missing the original grips as they had been replace with a set of imitation plastic pearl grips which were noticably cracked. I had to wonder how anyone could put those ugly plastic pearls on a revolver with such character. BUT, compared to your grips, I am feeling pretty lucky!

Mine shoots very well and is all there mechanically with an excellant bore and snug lockup but does show some blue wear. So far I have fitted some of the current black eagle flat top black plastic grips (pretty easy to do) and am planning on eventually replacing all of the screws. I think I will then keep it as is and just shoot it as the mood strikes!

An interesting side note, mine is serial 28,3xx and has the XR3 grip frame while my BKH46 is 28,9xx and has the XR3-RED grip frame.

Ward

Chance

Buckeye
Diggin through the parts bin looks like everything is available except the micro sight. Even have a set of the proper varnished walnut XR3 grip panels. Will the new micro sights work and will Ruger sell them?

I can help you with the original Micro sights, gotta few of them here............

Micosighttrio2-11.jpg

and no , you should NOT fast draw, slam fire with a Micro sight on a 'flatop' that will hurt your hand........ 8)
( thats why they wore gloves...... :roll: )

Latest posts