Got a 3 screw Single Six- Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CDG306

Bearcat
I just picked up a very pretty little 3 screw the other day. Blued. 5.5" barrel. Extra WMR cylinder. No transfer bar safety. Original old cardboard box and instructions. Even has the box the extra cylinder came in.

My question is trying to figure how the age. One thing I noticed right away is the WMR cylinder is fluted like the LR cylinder. I thought the WMR cylinders were made smooth so that you could easily tell them apart. Was this common on the 3 screws? Also it has adjustable sites. How can I tell from the serial number how old it is?

Chance

Buckeye
Congrats on the nice find. Post the serial # and you will be amazed at how much info will come your way.

Chance

Buckeye
For the old models both cylinders were fluted with the LR cylinder having a firing pin groove around the rear face while the mag cylinders do not. I'm sure someone pop in here with the year the unfluted mag cylinder started showing up. 1970 is the year shown in Dougan's.

CDG306

Bearcat
Here is a picture of it. Can't wait to try it out this weekend!!

singlesix.jpg

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
PSSST,
Don't tell anybody but if you look in the bottom right hand corner of the manual it has a date on it. If the manual is the one that came with your pistol, the date will be the year your revolver was made also.....

CDG306

Bearcat
LOL! That never even occurred to me. I'll pull it out of the safe. I haven't fingered it yet today anyways. =)

street

Hunter
Firsttimegrampa said:
PSSST,
Don't tell anybody but if you look in the bottom right hand corner of the manual it has a date on it. If the manual is the one that came with your pistol, the date will be the year your revolver was made also.....

That's not always true. The manual may have a date that is a couple of years older then your gun. If there is no changes to your gun, from when the manual is printed, such as a price change to one of the parts in your gun, then there is no reason to change the date of your manual.

The parts manual for the Single -Sixes per Dougans Book "RUGER SINGLE ACTIONS THE SECOND DECADE 1963-73" shows only four manuals. "Revised 8/1/59" "March 1 1965" "3-1-67" "R25-9-72". We all know that they didn't just make Single-Sixes in just those 4 years. The date of your manual will only get you close to when your gun was made.

street

Hunter
Chance said:
For the old models both cylinders were fluted with the LR cylinder having a firing pin groove around the rear face while the mag cylinders do not. I'm sure someone pop in here with the year the unfluted mag cylinder started showing up. 1970 is the year shown in Dougan's.

1975 for the Blue Super-Single Sixes. 1976 for the Stainless Super Single-sixes. With maybe one or two exceptions

yessir, for all those 'early years, the Ruger convertible 22's were a bit confusing, unlike the other makers who actually stamped the caliber on the proper cylinder, Ruger left them the "same" till as 'street' noted above,the change dates, then Ruger made the 'Magnum' cylinder, both 'smooth' as well as rollmarked the caliber .22 magnum.....easy to tell them apart.

CDG306

Bearcat
Shot it yesterday and it shoots every bit as nice as it looks. Only put about 24 rounds thru it before it started raining again, but I see this as being one of my favorites to shoot!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice!

I noticed a bit of a "cylinder ring"...... :(

Proper handling will stop any further damage to your fine ol' Super Single-Six.

Always pull the hammer to full cock after utilizing the half cock loading/unloading position. Proper loading technique includes loading only 5 chambers and lowering the hammer down onto the empty "6th" chamber.

An empty cylinder is properly loaded by placing the hammer on "half cock" then follow this procedure: "load one, skip one, load four" then pull the hammer back to full cock then gently lower it over that empty chamber.

Enjoy your fine Ruger revolver!

flatgate

CDG306

Bearcat
I always thought the empty 6th chamber was a safety if you carried it so your hammer didn't ignite a round if you dropped it or bumped it. Does that really have to do with cylinder wear?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Not "cylinder wear" but "cylinder latch dragging" is the issue.

Proper handling of the Old Model Rugers will prevent that from occurring.

Yes, proper handling also includes safe operation of the revolver, including your "empty chamber" statement.

:D

flatgate

308longdistance

Blackhawk
CDG306 said:
My question is trying to figure how the age. One thing I noticed right away is the WMR cylinder is fluted like the LR cylinder. Was this common on the 3 screws? Also it has adjustable sites. How can I tell from the serial number how old it is?

Adjustable sites = Ruger Super Single-Six
SN 60-43394..........1970

All Old Model 22mag cylinders and Very early NM 22mag cylinders were fluted..
OM22cylinders.jpg

Latest posts