Varnished Grips Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What is the history/timeline of the varnished Ruger wood grips, I have an opportunity to purchase a Flattop 357 with what appears to be varnished Ruger grips and am trying to find out if this is correct.

thanks for the help.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Think the term/substance is a form of shellac and all Walnut XR3's had this finish, tho some very early guns' panels were a flatter finish, according to the ones I have owned. The oiled finish began with the XR3RED configured panels.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Unless your .357 Flattop is a "late shipped" example, it would have been shipped with either black grips or varnished walnuts. Due to popularity, the "walnut grips" became the "norm" and the black "plastic" design became the "optional" style in about 1960, IIRC. The Factory's records can usually discern the facts. Good info lies in the Red Eagle News Exchange's Ruger Reference. Ruger Pistols and Revolvers also contains good data, complete with images......

flatgate

flatgate said:
Unless your .357 Flattop is a "late shipped" example, it would have been shipped with either black grips or varnished walnuts. Due to popularity, the "walnut grips" became the "norm" and the black "plastic" design became the "optional" style in about 1960, IIRC. The Factory's records can usually discern the facts. Good info lies in the Red Eagle News Exchange's Ruger Reference. Ruger Pistols and Revolvers also contains good data, complete with images......

flatgate

thanks flatgate, the revolver, which I have since purchased, was manufactured in 1962 according to the Ruger website....they are, I believe, original to the gun.....but I am NO expert...which is why I am asking the questions,

I appreciate your help and your efforts to provide this forum to us Ruger nuts!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
thanks flatgate, the revolver, which I have since purchased, was manufactured in 1962 according to the Ruger website....they are, I believe, original to the gun.....but I am NO expert...which is why I am asking the questions,

I appreciate your help and your efforts to provide this forum to us Ruger nuts!

The pleasure's all mine! Here's a pic of early Ruger revolver grips. Note the "varnished" walnuts have a "relief" cut. (Collector Nomenclature labels them as "Contoured Walnut").

146541267.jpg

This next image shows a .357 Flattop that's fitted with the more common "varnished walnut" grip design.

112875762.jpg

flatgate