americal

Hunter
475.jpg

476.jpg

480-1.jpg

4642.jpg

4652.jpg

4632.jpg

My rarest Single Six. RSS4X. Serial number 173922. One of 800. RENE. No one knows for sure how the gun came to have these sights on it. I've included some of the communication between a "Red Barn" Ruger employee named Ken and Dick Hoffman who said he purchased the gun NIB in a Sporting Goods Store. When they opened up the shipper in 1961 and took the lid off the box, the micro sights were on the gun. This is strictly unofficial information and can't be proven by Ruger records. Mr. Hoffman wrote Ken, the Ruger worker, and asked if he remembered putting micro sights on a RSS. He said he couldn't but if it was NIB in shipper then it had to come from the factory. He did remember lots of micro sights. Dick then wrote Jeff Munnell in 1982 to ask what his opinion was and Mr Munnell said they would not letter from Ruger but he had heard that a few did leave the factory with the micro sights but that is all oral traditon. Mr Munnell offered a good price for the gun at that time. I called Jeff Munnell and he remembered the gun and said it was a good gun, regardless of the sights, because of the rarity of the gun. Needless to say I sure was glad to obtain this gun by way of Allen A Daniels Jr, a fine Ruger collector.
JMHO, when Mr Dougan put that microed flatgate RSS in his book in the 1980's it confused a lot of people and research may not have been followed up so well. I almost bought that gun but I heard it went to California.
Hope my long dissertation has not bored you but y'all know I only collect microed RSS's. :wink:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Wonderful!! We will not forget your passion for these! ATB! MIKE 8) BTW, I saw that same Micro'd RSSE that our Friend "The Polack from Milwaukee" had back in the early seventies, at a Rochester MN Gun Show........I lost track of him, years ago........ :?

contender

Ruger Guru
It's way cool to have such a gun and any cooresponsence about it. It's little things like this that are the meat & potatoes of FUN collecting!

americal

Hunter
WMG--you would not believe how hard it is for me to get funds for ANY Rugers :lol: I have been helped by a lotta folks to find these guns 8) Sam Johnson sold me his personal magnum only micro RSS that he and his grandaughters shot --means a lot to me --your gun I got & Radicalrod's little RSS4X-prefix with boxes sure look like factory guns to me--but won't letter. The auto is nice someone needs to buy that to shoot, a lot 8) er than a new one but I'm old school :) got one on the way by Contender it was on the forum in a gunshow --Mid-Atlantic show some mo. ago--- that was posted saw the microed RSSMX in one of the photos --guns for sale--the micro was in plain sight 425.00 RSSMX Micro Sighted ---Contender found it --the seller-- for me should get it this week from PA. :D

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Years ago I bought my micro sighted SA which appers to be just like this one...I wrote Jeff and he told me it would not letter but probably came from the factory...I did not save the correspondence but made an annotation in his book...I do know Americal wants it and now I am in the fall of my years he is apt to get it.
Charlie

americal

Hunter
Thank you charlies --it is the oldest one I've seen 4 digets + low numbers plus double notches in adjustment rear sight screw 8) black rubber grips almost smooth its been shot so much :)

Latest posts