Collecting ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Does anyone collect only Mark IIs. If so I am trying to find out how many most people have. I have about 35 with only a few that are duplicate models. Also those of you that only collect one type or variation of gun do you buy and keep other models or types or do you pass these on to others that may need them for their collection or may appreciate them more?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I don't collect MKII's but I do collect others.
To answer your question about selling or swapping off duplicates,,, nope, not me. I keep 'em!

Xsales

Buckeye
MKIs & Standards only here

Although my regular shooter is a MKII 22/45 5.5" Bull Barrel

Duplicate usually do get passed on to other collectors

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I collect the Mk1's and the standards. My MK2 collection just counting in my notes looks to be about 52 different variations I have. Couple are non factory guns done by the Historicle Foundation.. Ya gotta love them autos..... :wink:

But I like the Single Sixes, Hawkeyes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Old Army's and Bear cats tooo :shock:
Did I miss any thing :) Other than the non gun stuff... :wink:

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I don't collect MkII's, but do collect the old style, aka MkII style, 22/45's.

There were 10 different models. My goal is one example of each, plus I have a consecutive 3 digit NIB pair of KP512's. So my main collection of safe queens is (or will be) 11 guns. In addition to that I have four 22/45's that are modded and are my range .22's. Two of the four go to the range every time.

Other than the overlap between the 2 groups and the consecutive pair I do not plan to keep any duplicates. The only reason I have, and it has worked out well, it to have trading fodder on hand when something I want comes up. The only duplicate today is an extra P678GC, which I hope to trade for a KP678GC this weekend.

Once the collection is filled out with the 11 guns, I will try to "upgrade" a few examples with NIB or nicer models, but will part with or demote the "lesser" gun to the shooter pool depending on what it is.

americal

Hunter
I am a STRANGE collector :lol: I collect old model RSS's with aftermarket micro co. front & rear sights kinda scarce --will not letter :( but I just like them :) sold 10" 44 flattop 6.5 44 flattop and other guns to buy this type gun just doing something a little different --there's one on GunsAmerica now for 650 dollars--a few minor blue problems --no money right now so won't get it :cry: :lol: If I had started back in the 1980's would have collected the early XR3 9.5 RSS's my favorite Ruger 8)

stantheman86

Buckeye
I like mostly Ruger DA and SA wheelguns, specifically Security-Service-Speed Sixes and GP100's......I don't look for "collectible" NIB stuff, I don't own a Ruger that I haven't personally fired.

I like rare stuff, but all of it gets fired, if even only once and then put away....... if I own a Ruger, I must send at least a few rounds downrange through it. I have some rare Ruger DA's, no safe queens though.

I can't call myself a real "collector", since I am not looking to complete any aspect of a Ruger collection.......I have dozens of Service Sixes and I'm still missing a LOT of what I would need for a "complete" collection. I will probably not ever find all of them, but I'm having fun and that's all that matters to me. It's a passion as well as a hobby, but it's not a job. Shooting and collecting should never feel like "work" 8)

Xsales

Buckeye
Stan

I think the term "Collector" is and can be used loosely

If one doesn't have a complete collection of anything he is still a collector. If he holds onto anything (more than just a couple shooting firearms) that to me is a collector

In a sense, we are all collectors, some take it to a different level than others

Xsales

chet15

Hawkeye
Xsales said:
In a sense, we are all collectors, some take it to a different level than others
Xsales

Exactly! You can't shoot more than one gun at a time, so those who go beyond that number are collectors I.M.O. They may not know it, but they had a desire to have that additional gun, or three or 50-100+.
So they are at least collecting "shooters"!
Chet15

stantheman86

Buckeye
You're correct, I see the logic there.

Collecting is unique to each individual person. I guess you could say anyone who owns 1 more gun than they truly, actually "need" is a collector.