BLACKHAWK .44-40 cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doccash

Buckeye
What would be a fair price for one of these cylinders. I know a guy that has one to sell. Looks like it would be good msd. appears new. Dr.C

Those are more scarce than some of the others may get a premium for them. Seem some in the classified not 44 40 but others for 75 to 125 on so IIRC, The one you are looking at may be from a Vaq or a Super, not sure if they mad one in the Blackhawk. ps

doccash

Buckeye
PS; Thanks, I don't have a clue as to what any of them are worth and don't know why anyone would want to sell one in the first place. I was really surprised to see a .44-40 cylinder for sale. zdoes it have to be fitted to another gun? Dr.C

flatgate

Hawkeye
In my experiences the .44-40 chambering ain't all that "entertaining" in a Ruger revolver. .44-40's are "low pressure" blackpowder era cartridges using 0.427"/0.428" projectiles. Ruger's .44s' are designed to fire 0.429"-0.430" bullets. The one I had was also handicapped with 0.427" throats so it would NOT accept a 0.430" bullet despite the fact that the barrel was a standard Ruger .44 magnum size.

In other words, the whole thing was a Major Cluster F!

flatgate

doccash

Buckeye
Flatgate: I agree, loading a modern 44-40 is a tough chore. I have a convertable TLHA and loading is tough, need a larger expander for sure and then the point of impact is so differant between 44-40 and 44 mag that the sights have to be changed the max amt. Throats are not a problem in Grovers gun however. Thanks for your comments and that is probably why the thing is for sale. Having said that I would not sell Grovers cylinder and still think this Ruger one must be worth something. Gary

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
ok, i just bought an aftermarket stainless cylinder from brownell's to have fitted to a 44 mag stainless vaquero, it will need fitted and chambered. The cylinder was $180.00 and I'll probably spend at least $100.00 more.

I also bought a blued engraved 44 mag cylinder from a Bisley and it very luckily fits perfectly without adjustment on a 44-40 vaquero stainless I own. I gave $75.00 for the cylinder on gungroker.

like others have said--- probably the only person who will be interested in it is someone like me. I shoot cowboy action with bisley vaqueros in 44 mag. now and I am putting together a set of 44-40/ 44 magnum convertibles to shoot. With the 44-40's the frontier cartridge class with black powder, then with 4 vaqueros in 44 mag, I can shoot Josey Wales and I use my standard bisleys to shoot 49er class.
My guess is the cylinder would sell quickly at about $100.00.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Dr C,
Did you ever buy the 44-40 cylinder? If not care to pass on the mesage as to seller? I have been looking for one.
Dr Charlie

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Doc,
Dug out my S4440 and took a pic of the .44/40
cylinder. Was it like this?
Terry

003-41.jpg

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
What ever happened to this cylinder? I remember asking quite awhile ago if I could buy it. Never heard from anyone...
Charlie

doccash

Buckeye
Certainly didn't mean to leave anyone in suspense, I did not buy it [though I wish I had ]. It was sold at the Amarilo Gun Show the weekend I saw it. I have been busy and forgot about starting this thread. Dr.C

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
If you have your own cylinder made up from a 30 Carbine or 357 cylinder, then you can have .429 or .430 throats put in and it'll work great with the 44 Mag barrels on most Rugers. Did that for my 44 OM Flattop and set of converted .44 Specials from OM .357's. Cost $125 for the chambering, plus whatever the cylinder costs. Lot easier to do than finding a Ruger cylinder; just a thought.
HH