GB 10' .44 flatop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
Is it possible for this Ruger Blackhawk Early Flattop .44Mag. 10" Bbl. revolver. Serial Number: 24073. MFG. in 1960 to have the black rubber grips? Buy price is 3K with box. Mine is 1959 with the varnished grips.

Mike

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=235056135

americal

Hunter
On grips anything is possible I would say :? I have seen several nice 10" 357's for sale in years past with the rubber grips but easy to change out--

cherokee5425

Bearcat
I have a 10" about 75o serial numbers earlier than that one. Mine alsohas the Hard rubber Black grips on it. I have been told that some guys tosave a buckor two would opt for the Black grips.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
Well, they were cataloged as "with walnut grips"........

flatgate

I suppose someone might have wanted to save a few bucks. I guess in 1960 they were just thinking about shooting and not with the hindsight of a collector many years in the future.
Mike

radicalrod

Hunter
I agree with Flatgate.....only a few early 6 1/2's may have came with the rubber grips.....along with a serrated ejector button to make the RARE type 1 BKH4......walnut grips were advertised as standard from day one......YMMV, see ya RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
Hard rubber grips were standard on the .357 flattop to early 1960 (all models including the 10"). Walnut grips were standard on the .44 Mag. flattop from the beginning in late 1956 and only the earliest couple hundred guns are so are believed to have knowingly left the factory with hard rubber (probably assembled before Ruger made any shipments). The grips were changed to varnished walnut on the .44 because, just like today's checkered rubber grip .44 flattops, they act like a cheese grater of your hand upon recoil.
Sure, Ruger may have run out of walnut at particular periods during .44 flattop production, but there's no way to prove that ever happened, especially when the .44 flattop was always advertised with walnut.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
As mentioned, it's been offered before and with the grip and ring isues/notations, others must think it "questionable. Seems a bit high with the differences observed. Someone should offer 25 and see what occurs....It is a nice box...............I don't need the gun.............. 8) Just sayin', as usual.

mike722

Buckeye
it has been on GB for several months..there must be a question or it would have sold for $3k in a heartbeat.. I think the gun iteslf is the question, maybe a reblue...

radicalrod

Hunter
Well it started out with a 2500 BIN....when it didn't sell the BIN was raised to 3000......why doesn't the seller put a nice set of walnuts on it and hide those awful black junkers.....would make a lot of difference.......RR.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The seller may not be sales oriented........May have advice and a book or two, you know........Finnesse is somewhat rare, whether talking about weiners, nails, manure or horseshoes, Just Sayin'(damn, I enjoy that just sayin' part........)Did not capitalize weiner, either..could've....... 8)

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
mike722 said:
it has been on GB for several months..there must be a question or it would have sold for $3k in a heartbeat.. I think the gun iteslf is the question, maybe a reblue...

Would I be far off in guessing the box is at least 25% of the asking price?