Ross Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Well went and bought it today. Hope this is a Ross Blackhawk. It has all the characteristics. Looks to be 95-98%. 4 5/8 barrel, micro sight, offset ejector, wavy front sight. Has been converted but all the OM parts are with it. I could find very little info online about Ross Blackhawks. Tried to find where one may have sold at auction to determine value but could not find any previouse sales. How about someone telling me what it is worth?
How rare or scarce are these as I am wondering if I should shot it?

[/img]
IMGP1580.jpg

IMGP1581.jpg

[/img]
IMGP1582.jpg

IMGP1583.jpg

[/img]
IMGP1584.jpg

IMGP1585.jpg

[/img]
IMGP1586.jpg

IMGP1587.jpg

[/img]
IMGP1588.jpg

americal

Hunter
A great looking flattop :!: looks ROSS to me---sure a clean--not used much flattop 8) photo is good to. gotta be :D I would not shoot :!: :!: VERY sought after Ruger :) Serial # looks right. SCARCE 800 made----

chet15

Hawkeye
Subscribing to Red Eagle News Exchange would answer all the questions you may ever have about Ruger firearms. It also comes with a handy price guide for the most popular (and some not as popular) pistol and SA models.
Send me a PM and I'll send you the details.
Chet15

bigbore45colt

Hunter
VERY NICE Ross flat-top! You hit a home run there. I wouldn't sell mine, s/n 15373, for less than $1500.

Congratulations!! A hard to gun to find. Good for you. I like it when nice, scarce guns pop up like this.

BB45C

Bob's List currently includes 70 guns in the accepted range of 14684 thru 15483.

Your gun is in there, between 15311 and 15324, both of which shipped in June of 1956.

RENE currently lists the ROSS variation at $1300 in "collector condition".

Yours is mighty nice, if not exactly "perfect".

;)

Edited to add "Congratulations!"

:mrgreen:

The question of "should I shoot it" comes up with the discovery of every nice old Ruger, and the ROSS guns are no exception.

IMHO it would not hurt to shoot this gun, assuming proper handling is employed to not further "ring" the cylinder, and superloudenboomenwhacker ammo is not used. Any .38 Special ammo would be OK, and even a reasonable amout of "normal" .357 stuff shouldn't hurt it. A little shooting, followed by a good careful cleaning, and you would enjoy the pleasure that is a gen-u-wine Ruger Flattop . . . and a ROSS variation at that.

Like I said, JMHO, and I'll not be the least bit surprised to see equally viable advice to the contrary. The gun is, after all, over fifty years old and has quite a bit of collector value.

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
I have one with the number 15395. Yours looka a lot better than mine! Approximately 800 made, and very sought after!
Excellent score!

americal

Hunter
NOT MANY FOUND :!: 70 :arrow: about like SC4 only a few out of less than 200 guns.Contender you gotta lot more rare rugers than you let on---I know you are a humble guy 8)

americal

Hunter
O---FORGOT where is Franklins? In Georga--looking for a wall hanger sxs hammer shotgun --low price as a gift to a friend--

contender

Ruger Guru
I do have a few good Rugers. My Ross was already worn as a shooter when I found it, so it remains a shooter. I even had it out shooting today,,, along with my Hawkeye. (I left the Hunter in the 17 convertable in the safe, but we did have a few OM 45's out there.)

contender

Ruger Guru
You should have contacted me,, you could have come down to play. I worked around H'ville, then went & volunteered to work the PBA rodeo at the Asheville Ag ctr for the RMEF. I'll back at the PBR tonight.