Non Ruger but Nice S&W Found

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deserttrans

Buckeye
No Rugers turned up this week. Did snag this ANIB, 1978, 48-4, 22 magnum.... :D
2534687940080543073S600x600Q85.jpg

I had one of those for a while. Pain to carry but it made ground squirrels/jackrabbits just "go away"! And it was beautifully made.

But like most K-22s, magnum or not, it required brushing the crud out from under the extractor star frequently to keep it from binding up. I carry an old "soft" toothbrush with me to do that whenever I intend to shoot more than a dozen or so shots with any K or J frame S&W .22. (The only one I have left is a 651, tho).

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Squirrel-potter without peer! Find a nice leather bandolier holster and park yourself under the oaks next fall with a sandwich and a good book.

Nice find. With the soaring value of those S&W walnuts, I might be tempted to swap 'em out for a set of "hunting-grade" stocks and keep the orig. numbered panels for later. ;)

Cholo

Staff member
I have a 48-4 8 3/8" bought back in '98 with box/papers and all LNIB. It's arguably the best looking handgun I own, along with my 6" Diamondback and Python. I'm trying really hard to love the gun, but I havn't found the load it likes before it locks up before I fire a cylinder full. Like Mike A said; bring a cleaning kit with you. I have some heavyweights waiting to be tried. I'd start out heavy and work your way down.

I believe they can never be too tight, guns that is, but I think my 48 might be. I can't say about the K-22 and its kin. If I had it to all over again, I still would have bought it. Good luck with your great find! Part of the fun is the challenge of finding a gun's sweet spot.

deserttrans

Buckeye
Thanks for the comments and advice. This one will be a safe queen. I have a model 17-3 that is a shooter.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Very nice S&W!

I enjoy my little pile of Smiths but I don't look to add any more these days, unless I fall into a deal on a nice shooter grade piece........all of my gun money goes towards adding to the Ruger pile. 8)

deserttrans

Buckeye
Thanks, yes most of my extra dollars go to nice Rugers when I can find them. But a clean quality revolver is hard to pass up.... at least for me that is.