Upcoming Gun Show Idea

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This last weekend I was asked to serve as the Range Master at a Men's retreat for our church. Not knowing how many guys would bring their own guns, I took a Ruger Mark ll bull barrel and four different single actions. All the single actions had been customized to some extent and it was amazing the number of questions the guys asked about the guns, what had been done etc. Oh yes, we did shoot all the ammo I took as well!

After coming home and thinking about all the guys questions I noticed that the semi-annual gun show was coming up in June and I stopped in to see if there was a table left. The show manager said that there was so I decided to rent a table and do a display table of customized revolvers. The point is NOT to toot a personal horn or anything like that but to try and let some folks see what is possible when you start out with a basic Ruger and let one of the gunsmiths we know work it over. I ordered a banner that has the Ruger emblem on one end and says "RUGER - The heart of the custom revolver!" I also am making simple cards for each gun stating the main artisan and a few facts about the gun.

I also will have Bowens book there on a stand and a couple of stock Rugers so I can explain what the base gun was for each project. I might even have a few of the custom parts we often add to these guns such as a steel ERH, a set of Clements OM bisley parts, some ivory grip panels, a two piece gripframe etc.

Who knows we might even have a few additons to our addiction by the time the weekend is over! It may be a crazy idea but I'd love to have some of the locals get some ideas as to how to customize some of their toys. Who knows, it may be a flop of an idea and I set there for two days twiddling my thumbs but it might gets some ideas flowing as well. We will see how it turns out.

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Excellent Idea !!!

I usually take several of my collection just to show them off when I set up at a show. Doing just that sometimes led me to other identical guns for sale. Plus all the neat people I have got to meet makes it all worth it.

Good Luck

Dan

Guys, 'display" will be kind of a strong word for it. I have seen pictures of Ruger collectors dispays and they are something else. This will just be simple conversions on an elk hide propped up by dowels or antlers. I will try to get some decent pictures just for grins and giggles though.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't care if you think it's a "display" or not. IT IS!!!!!!! And you should do it at RCA shows too!
We need more displayers of all kinds. You are on the perfect track to do one.
I too await pics!

Well, last weekend was the gun show where I set up a table of customs and just answered questions about how you can tweak a Ruger and who some of the gunsmith's are who can do the work. I had a sheet of names, websites, emails etc. of the smiths, leather workers and grip makers. The best part of the weekend was answering folks questions about their old Rugers such as when they were made etc. It was a small show but I still ran into two people who own 7 1/2" 44 flat tops, a Hawkeye owner and a owner of a 10" 357 flat top. The best contact was on Saturday when an older white haired man stopped by the table and looked at the two 357 flat tops I had just to show people what the base gun looked like for many of the projects. He said that he had bought a 357 flat top from a coworker many years ago for $40 and it was a three digit gun with stags. We talked about for quite awhile and I showed him what the proper black hard rubber grips would look like and he thanked me and went on his way.

Sunday morning I went to get a cup of coffee and a guy told me there was an older guy looking for me at the table. I got back to the display and it was the same guy. He opened a case and there was a neat old 3 digit flat top with non factory stag grips. Other than the grips and the hammer being jewelled the gun was correct in it's construction. We went through several of the Ruger books and I showed him where there were several makers of stag grips that fit Rugers but I could not find any record of factory stags not having emblems. I also told him I had found a guy in the next room who had a set of the correct grips for his gun and I took him over to meet the man. After 15 minutes or so he came back with the grips and this great big smile on his face. I asked him if he wanted to put the grips on and he said he couldn't wait so I reached into the parts box and took out the screw driver and handed it to him and watched him install the grips. He just stood there and turned the gun over in his hands and looked at me with the biggest grin and the most heartfel thanks for helping him restore his old gun. I showed him the grain pattern on the two flat tops on the table and since he was a former machinist he knew exactly hwo to lightly remove the jewelling on the hammer.

I also was fotunate to meet a couple of true Rugerphiles from WA who visited for quite awhile and who encouraged me to take the display to the Puyallup (sp) WA show next year as well. Over all a great weekend of meeting great folks and answering lots of questions. Here are a few pictures of the table and the banner I had made.
IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

americal

Hunter
love your encounters at the show 8) that really makes it worth while --wonder what he was going to do with the stag grips :?: If nice someone might could buy them from him. GREAT DISPLAY :!:

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
Robb Barnes said:
This last weekend I was asked to serve as the Range Master at a Men's retreat for our church. Not knowing how many guys would bring their own guns, I took a Ruger Mark ll bull barrel and four different single actions. All the single actions had been customized to some extent and it was amazing the number of questions the guys asked about the guns, what had been done etc. Oh yes, we did shoot all the ammo I took as well!

After coming home and thinking about all the guys questions I noticed that the semi-annual gun show was coming up in June and I stopped in to see if there was a table left. The show manager said that there was so I decided to rent a table and do a display table of customized revolvers. The point is NOT to toot a personal horn or anything like that but to try and let some folks see what is possible when you start out with a basic Ruger and let one of the gunsmiths we know work it over. I ordered a banner that has the Ruger emblem on one end and says "RUGER - The heart of the custom revolver!" I also am making simple cards for each gun stating the main artisan and a few facts about the gun.

I also will have Bowens book there on a stand and a couple of stock Rugers so I can explain what the base gun was for each project. I might even have a few of the custom parts we often add to these guns such as a steel ERH, a set of Clements OM bisley parts, some ivory grip panels, a two piece gripframe etc.

Who knows we might even have a few additons to our addiction by the time the weekend is over! It may be a crazy idea but I'd love to have some of the locals get some ideas as to how to customize some of their toys. Who knows, it may be a flop of an idea and I set there for two days twiddling my thumbs but it might gets some ideas flowing as well. We will see how it turns out.

Ok don't laugh at the Northerner but I have to ask how a church men's retreat includes a range master & shootin' irons. I think I might need to covert!
Mike

I don't know Mike. The guys in charge happened to know I serve as a range master and the camp actually has a range that the local PD uses so they asked me and I agreed to supply gear, guns and ammo. It was a kick in the pants. Lots of guys it was their first time with a revolver and some, even the first time shooting ever!

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
Robb Barnes said:
I don't know Mike. The guys in charge happened to know I serve as a range master and the camp actually has a range that the local PD uses so they asked me and I agreed to supply gear, guns and ammo. It was a kick in the pants. Lots of guys it was their first time with a revolver and some, even the first time shooting ever!

I think it's great that the church has an attitude that a little shooting can be a fun thing and what a good way to introduce potential afficionados to the sport in a safe and comfortable environment.
Mike

A

Anonymous

That looks to be a top-notch display. Congratulations.

Minor point, I don't see a security cable through those guns. With all that purty iron laid out, temptation would be rampant. I hope you at least have several sets of eyes keeping a good watch.

You are right, there was not a security cable. I wanted the folks to be able to pick the guns up and turn them over in their hands and see and feel what a custom revolver is all about. I staffed the table except for a few minutes and then I had the neighbors watching pretty close. This is a pretty well covered show and I talked to a customer of mine who normally displays $100,000 worth of Colts and Winchesters just down the aisle and he said there has never been a problem with theft. My biggest concern was making sure some know-it-all did NOT pick up and old model and handle it wrong. It was a good teaching opportunity as well.

I have already started going through the guns and culling some pieces and adding others for the next show. This show is put on again in December so I think I will get a table once again and visit with people for a couple of days again.