Blackhawk .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Found a .357 Blackhawk today. Serial number 15316. Converted with old parts. Looks to be in about 98% condition. 4.625" barrel. Whats it worth?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well, you didn't bring it home? :D

OK, it could very well be a very desirable "odd" variation, the elusive Ross Guns. They are characterized by s/n's in the 15XXX range, a "early" front sight with a "wavy" rollmark, a "serrated" ejector rod button and an "offset" slot ejector housing.

Value? $700 and UP! We need more details, if you please?

flatgate

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
You'll have to forgive as I am ignorant on revolvers. Who is Ross? Also what does an early front sight look like as well as offset slot ejector housing. I will check it out more tomorrow. I just want to make sure I can properly ID the revolver.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ross? An early Ruger Collector whom "set the stage" for a lot of us newguys......

The early front sight was "roll engraved" with "squiggly" lines instead of a simple, 90° to the long dimension of the front sight blade, serration that has been the most common design on Rugers since day one.

Colt SAA's have ejector housings that have a "jog" in the milled slot. Early Ruger's followed suite. By the late '50's the slots were straight without any off-sets.

flatgate

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
1gunsnotenough said:
You'll have to forgive as I am ignorant on revolvers. Who is Ross? Also what does an early front sight look like as well as offset slot ejector housing. I will check it out more tomorrow. I just want to make sure I can properly ID the revolver.

Bring your camera and shoot a few pics. Otherwise it's just guesswork.

flattop44

Buckeye
Here is a picture of the Type 1 and Ross Front sight for 'ya.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Hamm_357-Flattop/DSC00353.jpg

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Looked at pistol again today. Does have the wavy front sight and the offset ejector housing. Condition is near perfect with faint cylinder ring. Asking price of seller is $800.00. Is it worth it.

Larry Masten

Bearcat
Reading, with interest ,the threads on the "Ross" Blackhawks. Reference was made to the serial range being in the five digits range.

I have one with all the Ross features ; however the serial number is 6781. How far back do the Ross revolvers go? Th revolver is 99%. Never had the factory conversion.

Comments on this please.

LM

If you call Ruger and inquire, you will likely find that 6781 (a Type 1 gun) was shipped in mid/late-1956 or so.

The ROSS guns, Type 1's as defined by their configuration, run from 14684 thru 15483, and were shipped in mid-1956 although their serial numbers would seem to indicate shipment in early/mid-1958 at which time Type 2's were being shipped. It is this numbering error that makes the ROSS guns interesting.

Your gun was most likely shipped after the serial number mess was discovered and corrected, at 5484.

:)

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
Larry Masten said:
Reading, with interest ,the threads on the "Ross" Blackhawks. Reference was made to the serial range being in the five digits range.

I have one with all the Ross features ; however the serial number is 6781. How far back do the Ross revolvers go? Th revolver is 99%. Never had the factory conversion.

Comments on this please.

LM
We must see pictures. A Ross 'styled' Ruger outside the normal serial range is interesting.

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Actually not.

All Type 1 guns are "ROSS styled".

A ROSS gun is merely a Type 1 gun that happens to fall within that particular incorrect serial number range.

:)

You have the Ross gun explained to a "T". It's a type 1 gun, made in the time period of a type 1 gun, that just has one too many digits in it serial number. An error, caused by an employee at the factory that was stamping the serial numbers on the frames. A collector, H. W. Ross Jr., who wrote a book in 1979, on the "Flattops and Super Blackhawks", brought attention to it in his book, thus other collectors starting calling it the Ross variation.