OM XR3 Brass Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I took this off an early 3 digit FT I purchased earlier this year. I put the FT back to original and put the brassie on an original RSS4x (missing the barrel - long story). Anyone have a 4 5/8" barrel for sale - let me know. I've never seen another XR3 Brass Frame. Anyone else seen one or know who the maker might be? Nothing marked on the inside.
DSC02286.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02290.jpg
[/i]

G2

Hunter
When I found this Grip Frame I sure thought it was a XR3, it has the dead straight back-strap, Got it home and grabbed a original XR3 Grip panel and nope it's not, I think it is a XR3-RED that has had the back-strap straightened.

P1010041.jpg

Qualite grip frames all have the more squared up trigger guards when I see grip frames like jussbad's,,, with the more rounded trigger guards,, I think these come from Pony Express Guns.
I really like the more rounded loop looking trigger gaurd.

PonyExpress027.jpg

Might it look like this under the grip panels?? I sure would like to see a picture of it naked.

PEGripFrame003.jpg

IF not maybe a colt product or a one-off ??
I'm working on a one-off right now myself, pictures to follow soon.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Excellent, G2! I'd totally forgotten about the Pony Express revolvers!

Boy, oh, boy, that mainspring assembly sure looks familiar for some odd reason........ :D

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
Dougan mentions Erl Svendsen and his Pony Express on pg 252: "Svendsen was making a close copy of thje Single-Six in .22LR calber with a onepiece brass grip frame...".

The Ruger XR3 and Pony Express grips are mirror images of each other but mate up differently to the guns frame. If the XR3 grips are angled to the rear they will sit on the Pony Express brass grip frame nicely except for a gap at the cylinder frame. Mated correctly to the cylinder frame leaving no gaps they look like the pics below.

XR3 grips on a Pony Express

PEGripFrame002-1.jpg

PEGripFrame003-1.jpg

PEGripFrame004.jpg

PEGripFrame005.jpg

PEGripFrame006.jpg

PEGripFrame007.jpg

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Gary
I have a collection of Brass grip frames and show them in my display, "Class of Brass". The collection includes two XR3 factory frames. One is a shiny "Gold" color and the other is a dull (burnished) brass color.
I also have a XR3-red frame in brass color. These frames are made from Aluminum and only carry the color of brass. I believe these grip frames were used as samples and never made in full production. Sort of a test for the final brass frame that has the square back trigger guard.
Good luck finding a proper barrel for your RSS4X project gun.
Brass Frame/Lee

G2

Hunter
flatgate said:
Thanks! My curiosity was running amok! :D
flatgate

Your CURIOSITY, Mine TOO!! :shock:

Thanks Jussbad, I find these Brass Grip Frames real interesting.

BRASS FRAME... Any chance seeing pictures of your XR3 Brass Grip Frames??

flatgate

Hawkeye
G2 said:
BRASS FRAME... Any chance seeing pictures of your XR3 Brass Grip Frames??

I recall seeing one on display at the NRA show in Phoenix back in the early '90's. Bill Hamm displayed his Super Blackhawks (which were really, really nice) and a glass case was out in front with some "related goodies". A gold anodized XR-3 grip frame was exhibited as being a "Factory test piece".

I might have a 35mm slide image somewhere....... :roll:

flatgate

StoopidKid

Bearcat
The picture sans barrel is a nice look ... I wonder how it shoots? :) Impressive piece though, all the same!