Factory nickeled OM 41...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
I saw an interesting one today. Ordinarily I wouldn't have cared because I don't care for nickel finishes but the seller said it would letter and I inquired a bit more about it. He didn't have the letter with him and it had the wrong grips... so I was a little suspicious anyway but kinda figured I'd check with you guys....

Photo0017.jpg

Photo0018.jpg

Photo0019.jpg

Photo0020.jpg

41 nut

Bearcat
I've never heard of a factory nickled 41mag. and I've been collection and studying the 41's for nearly 35 years. Sure would like to talk to the owner and see a copy of the factory letter. Cann't tell the serial number from the photos. Do you have the number? Could and would you email me the owners name and phone number?

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
41 nut said:
I've never heard of a factory nickled 41mag. and I've been collection and studying the 41's for nearly 35 years. Sure would like to talk to the owner and see a copy of the factory letter. Cann't tell the serial number from the photos. Do you have the number? Could and would you email me the owners name and phone number?

Looks a lot like 3914 or 39*4, from 1966?

mattsbox99

Hunter
Yes its 3914, sorry its difficult to judge how good a picture is gonna be from a phone. I should have put that in the original post. He said this was one of 40 or so factory jobs and was in some books and that was the gun in the books. He also said he worked for Ruger in Prescott. A quick call to records on Monday could confirm his story, but I really don't think its gonna pan out for him. He was asking $850 for the revolver with no box and incorrect grips... I was more interested in the SN10851 4 5/8" 41 he had too, but really didn't need to buy anything today.

I didn't catch his name or business and the show is 110 miles away so I won't be back this weekend.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll certainly stand behind the remarks posted by 41 nut ! He KNOWS his .41's!

My opinion? Well, I believe Ruger got out of the "plated show guns" mode long before the .41 magnum appeared. (Especially "over polished" jobs. :roll: ) The blued trigger spring plunger sure looks "out of place", as well.

Nah!

flatgate

BlkHawk73

Hunter
What flatgate said! I'd trust Richard before any unknown on .41's! As to this gun in question...seems awfully fishy a 1 of 40 is priced so low. I'm calling foul!

radicalrod

Hunter
Shoulda bought the 10851 gun and thanked him for showing you the other....isn't that one in the "duplicate" serial range.....I hope I don't go home and see that number in my notes :shock: :shock: :shock: I love GUN SHOW STORIES.....RR.

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Nope not one of my old guns that I can remember, but it could have been 8) I doubt it is factory too but then I seem to remember another thread not long ago where everyone doubted and it lettered. I would call Ruger on Monday and get the skinny on it before I bought it.

Dan

mattsbox99

Hunter
I doubt it sold unless someone bought his fomunda story. :D

I didn't even ask the price on the 10851 41, but it didn't have any odd marks indicating it was a special gun. It had a box, but I believe it was the wrong one since it was yellow/black with no end label. it was a 90% gun.

I did see a Flattop .44 6.5" XXXX a couple weeks ago that had been reblued near as I can tell (no plum and no cylinder fitting blue loss) for $1800... I thought that was at least $1000 too rich. It was a 99% gun otherwise. The seller didn't mention a box which would have been a lot more interesting to me.

41 nut

Bearcat
Just for chuckles and giggles I'll give Ruger a call Monday morning and see what they have to say about 3914. I doubt very much if it will letter as its too late for factory plating and too poor a job for the factory to claim.

chet15

Hawkeye
#10851 may be a duplicate...the sn range is 10395 to 10895, but none of the duplicates are believed to have ever been marked with a "D".
Not marking them was not unusual though, I know of other sn ranges of Single-Sixes that were not marked either.
Chet15

radicalrod

Hunter
Just checked my numbers....all is good I have 10485.....sure would like to find the other 10485....records say both are BKH42's....they won't admit the lack of the D stamp :lol: :lol: :lol: RR.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Go ahead and call them 41, I'll be at work all day so I won't be able to call them.

Well, I didn't get back to the show, some friends were planning on going again today and I was gonna tag along but they ended up not going.

I'm a little spoiled here, $5 gets admission all weekend and free parking to boot! Too bad its 220 miles round trip. My new job pays significantly better than my last job so I'll have lots more Ruger dollars in September when it comes back. :)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Selling dealer will still probably insist it's factory and their records are wrong.