Fired vs Unfired

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
Just bought a new John Wayne Single Six for my wife. How much will it hurt the value down the road if she shoots it? She wants to leave it unfired to protect the value but I've never bought a gun that I didn't plan to shoot.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well.......... you're getting a reply from a purest collector. If it ain't 100% Ruger Factory then it's not going to build much value. IMHO, commemorative guns, no matter who is or what is the subject matter, just don't command much of a premium 15 years down the road. I know, there are exceptions every once in a while, but, I've personally forgone getting "wound" up on such issues. (I'm not very familiar with the John Wayne series, either.)

I bet one of our Members has a much better knowledge of these issues and will offer some more accurate information.

JMHO,

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
I got 3 of the KSSMBH-3F-JW's. These are a TALO limited edition run of 1250 guns, stainless, 3 3/4" bbl Bird Heads with engraving. Sold # DUKE00062 to a regular customer who was born in 1962 but am keeping the other 2, one low # and the next to last one made.

.32 mags seem to take a lot of years to build much value. These guns, in my and my wifes opinion, are worth keeping around to take out and fondle over the years. Our low and high #ed guns will remain unfired.

contender

Ruger Guru
With the number of serious Ruger SA collectors, and adding the limited number of these guns, anytime one is used, the price will depreciate vs one that is NIB. I think they will hold their value and appreciate a little if NIB.
Your call,,, as it's JMO!!!!

Chance

Buckeye
Chet
Model # 06535

Interesting anomolay is the Model # on the western style box sleeve is 6536. Continuing this is a cat # KSSMBH-4F-JW on the sleeve while the Ruger plastic box label lists the cat # as KSSMBH-3F-JW.

The booklet that comes in the box state the SN# range as Duke001 - Duke1250 while the serial numbers on the guns read DUKEOOOO1-DUKE01250.

Looks like there may habve been some miscommunication between Ruger and TALO.

chet15

Hawkeye
Chance said:
Chet
Model # 06535

Interesting anomolay is the Cat # on the western style box sleeve is 6536. Continuing this is a cat no KSSMBH-4F-JW on the sleeve while the Ruger plastic box label lists the cat no as KSSMBH-3F-JW.

The booklet that comes in the box state the SN# range as Duke001 - Duke1250 while the serial numbers on the guns read DUKEOOOO1-DUKE01250.

Looks like there may habve been some miscommunication between Ruger and TALO.

Thanks Chance!
Chad

G2

Hunter
The Value in a Ruger in your lifetime is enjoying it how ever you see fit.

If you want a Ruger as an investment ,,, BUY STOCK,

and as of late it's doing real good!

REMEMBER, To recognize any gain from a firearm investment, One has to part with it.
This usually brings more remorse than financial gain... :wink:

ranger1

Buckeye
RUKSSMBH-4F-JW.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
ranger1,

I'm totally astounded by the way the hammer fits! :shock:

Is this a Kitchen Table variation or was it made that way?

Hole Lee Cow!

flatgate

jyo

Single-Sixer
Personally, I buy guns to shoot, commemorative guns are not the ones to buy if you want a shooter---sell it to a collector and buy a shooter---just so you know, ALL my guns are shot, if not, they soon will be!

flatgate said:
ranger1,

I'm totally astounded by the way the hammer fits! :shock:

Is this a Kitchen Table variation or was it made that way?

Hole Lee Cow!

flatgate

Yep my hammers fit the same on my four. My two Baby Vaquaro 22 Single Sixs are the same.
Another interesting thing. The long screw in the bottom of the frame doesn't capture the hammer pin on any of the four. No it isn't in the wrong hole :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
jyo said:
Personally, I buy guns to shoot, commemorative guns are not the ones to buy if you want a shooter---sell it to a collector and buy a shooter---just so you know, ALL my guns are shot, if not, they soon will be!

I buy "collector guns" and stash them in my Dungeon's Massive Catacombs....

I buy "shooter grade" examples of the collector guns and fix 'em up and shoot them!

52401013.jpg

Scarce 7-1/2" barreled .44 mag. Blackhawk. Was a dog, now it's a favorite shooter.

85490282.jpg

Rare 10" .44 Blackhawk. Now fitted with a Bisley hammer, Super Blackhawk grip frame and fancy grips. Yeah, it shoots GREAT!

Works for me. :D

flatgate

wproct

Single-Sixer
I previously owned a Single-Six Hunter that the hammer fit in the frame the same way. I could never understand it, as my Vaquero's hammers fit flush with the frame.