Flatgate questions/worth?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blackwolfe

Single-Sixer
What is the serial number range of the early Single Six flatgates?

What are they worth, the one I found does not have the original grips, it has a set of aftermarket stags on it. It has been converted, but the original parts come with it along with the yellow conversion box, but not the original box. It looks extremely clean, maybe too clean, compared to the dirty stag grips. What should I look for to determine if maybe it has been reblued? The top of the Ruger trademark on the side of the frame is not present, not sure if it was polished off or not just struck completly?
Thank you.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
blackwolfe said:
What is the serial number range of the early Single Six flatgates?

What are they worth, the one I found does not have the original grips, it has a set of aftermarket stags on it. It has been converted, but the original parts come with it along with the yellow conversion box, but not the original box. It looks extremely clean, maybe too clean, compared to the dirty stag grips. What should I look for to determine if maybe it has been reblued? The top of the Ruger trademark on the side of the frame is not present, not sure if it was polished off or not just struck completly?
Thank you.

Pics and at least partial serial # needed or it's difficult to help.
Mike

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Flatgates run up into the 619XX s/n range. They were all marked with Ruger's Eagle Logo on the side opposite the serial number.

Value, depending on exact configuration, condition and condition :D
runs in the $275 to $800+ range. Toss in the original box and some Factory Stags or Ivories and prices skyrocket!

I've seen guns with "light" markings, however often that's a clue that tells me the gun's been "over polished".

Ruger's early bluing is not "high polish/high gloss".

102015927.jpg

Above is a Type III example, fitted with the optional walnut grips. Note that the finish is NOT reflecting a lot of light.

As mentioned by BC Mike, a few detailed images can go a long way.....

? Refinished ?? One quick trick is to remove the cylinder and inspect the "breech face" for signs of cylinder fitting. There should be evidence of "fitting" work which occurs AFTER finishing.

flatgate