My Flat Top - Just Ordinary or ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SWR

Single-Sixer
I got this Flat Top many years ago when at the time they were just very rarely ever seen in the deep south. Its in great shape internaly and mechanicaly but has been very loved externaly. I guess I just have an ordinary shooter here but I thought I would ask yall for your observations. Its serial is in the 31XXX range. I appreciate whatever you have to offer for thoughts and info.

Regards
Steve M
2uyt4js.jpg

2430wtx.jpg

zw1h6e.jpg

1562vcz.jpg

2rc8var.jpg

Hi Steve! According to my book, your gun should have been built in 1960 and from the looks of the ejector rod housing it most likely is what is called a type 3 variation. (Now that I said that, one of the experts will come along and shoot me out of the water :lol: )Is the ejector rod button dimpled or flat faced on the surface near the muzzle? A fine example of an early flat top that would be a keeper for anybody.

far be it from me to "pontificate" :roll: never collected them, and have a tough enough time keeping track of my wifes 22 caliber stuff...looks GOOD to me though, maybe a little better than 'average' in the condition department, a nice 'honest' gun, and that straight housing tells me its the last?? of the line...........typical of the grip frame to be 'grey' and faded looking....(sunlight & cleaning....)Nice gun Steve, and as Robb noted, a "keeper"....

mike722

Buckeye
yep, nice gun... check and see if it is has 6 grooves in the barrel or 8 grooves..it is right in the area where the 8 grooved barrels started popping up.. if 8 grooved, it's a type 4, kinda scarce in the short barrel..

americal

Hunter
Thanks for the nice photos--You have a nice shooter flattop :) like the 4 & 5/8's barrel.I do not have one but would take yours in a second to shoot ----at a good price :)

chet15

Hawkeye
SWR said:
I got this Flat Top many years ago when at the time they were just very rarely ever seen in the deep south. Its in great shape internaly and mechanicaly but has been very loved externaly. I guess I just have an ordinary shooter here but I thought I would ask yall for your observations. Its serial is in the 31XXX range. I appreciate whatever you have to offer for thoughts and info.

Ours is 31439....might yours be consecutive?
Chet15

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
SWR said:

Ours is 31439....might yours be consecutive?
Chet15

Last two digits look like 74

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
I found this one in a local Pawn Shop many, many years ago.......

17819995.jpg

Yes, it's still here...... :roll:

flatgate

I notice the front sight is filed down on some of these including one of my .44 flattops. Why? Also did some OM black powder revolvers have a "pre filed" front sight from the factory?

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's far better to build guns with "tall" front sights than it is to build them with "short" front sights........

Yes, the early Old Armys were fitted with .45 Colt. cal. Blackhawk front sights which were a bit too tall. The Factory filed down the sights prior to finishing.

I have one of those O.A.'s, however, I don't think I have an "on line" image to share.........

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate said:
Yes, the early Old Armys were fitted with .45 Colt. cal. Blackhawk front sights which were a bit too tall. The Factory filed down the sights prior to finishing.

flatgate

Hey, Flatgate, I think that might be a myth...that the factory filed those front sights down. Every FFS I've seen on an Old Army has what look to me like bubbles or maybe casting pits in the top flat, but never a filed or machined finish.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
140-00189

FlatSightOldArmy.jpg

Looks like hand work to me........I dunno if it's Factory or Bubba.
FWIW, it's "side view profile" is the same as s/n 140-00302 in Pistols and Revolvers, p. 288.

No extra charge for the rust. :D

flatgate