value check Brass frame old army 2 digit NIB. with letter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbore45colt

Hunter
There are only 4 known lettered 2-digit brass frame Old Armies. One, 18, is in Ohio. So that leaves 38, 39 or 97. Which one is it, out of curiosity.

I'd value it around $1000 or so. Though it is a 2-digit, the Old Armies just don't command the collector premium that other OM SAs do.

Just my $0.02 YMMV

BB45C

golferboy426 said:
value help please my RENE is at moms house, I can buy it but it seems overpriced to me

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd agree with BB45C's value estimate, however if Boxed like I'd assume it would be, I'd tack on a few extra bucks.......

Fantastic find!

flatgate

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Here is a normal front sight.. Brass Frame gun

ricksbook040.jpg

And the Flattop front sight... On a Brass frame Old Army. By the way this is the only one known.

oldarmy004.jpg

And this is a normal Old Army with a flattop front sight. No Brass frame.
oldarmy002.jpg

Might be hard to see in these pictures but notice the top of the front sight on both guns.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Frankly, I sugggest non-softly that that value estimate is shy about 750 dollars or more... As a two digit gun is exactly that and a brass frame is a minimum of 350 and the box is X and it is NIB..........Do the math........ :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Frankly, I sugggest non-softly that that value estimate is shy about 750 dollars or more... As a two digit gun is exactly that and a brass frame is a minimum of 350 and the box is X and it is NIB..........Do the math........ :wink:

I agree with splitz. There were only reportedly 13 brass frame guns under 140-00800 (the high number for the flattop front sight variation), so anything that letters brass under that number 800 is going to be a great gun!
Golferboy....you don't still have that #140-00500 with color-buff employee high polish that your dad told me about many moons ago?
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Well, if you open up your Dougan books to page 382, you'll see more than 13 under 800. I count 34. But only the four 2-digits noted above -- 18, 38, 39, 97.

It would be interesting and worthwhile to call Records on it tomorrow and see what they say. I suspect that for Super Blackhawks, they just use the Dougan info. If they say BP7 at first, then ask them to check the invoice.

chet15

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy said:
Well, if you open up your Dougan books to page 382, you'll see more than 13 under 800. I count 34. But only the four 2-digits noted above -- 18, 38, 39, 97.

It would be interesting and worthwhile to call Records on it tomorrow and see what they say. I suspect that for Super Blackhawks, they just use the Dougan info. If they say BP7 at first, then ask them to check the invoice.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Was taking the 13 from another article on brass frames that JD did in the RCA Journal not long before his latest book came out.
s/n 140-00500 has a brass grip frame on it too, was a factory color-buff gun that was a company exec's. I don't know if that ones ever been lettered though.
JD's latest book is pretty good for listing a lot of the brass grip frame sn's, but those lists are not complete.
I also note that 140-00374 has a normal front sight blade and is pictured in one of JD's earlier books, with and without brass grip frame, but apparently it was shipped orignally with brass.
So, maybe some of the other 29 BP7B listed in JD's recent work (from 140-00100 to 140-00800)also have round front sight blades? I know one thing, as only one (maybe 2) FFS BP7B have been verified, I gotta wonder where the other 29 FFS possibles are. Maybe those others do have the RFS like 140-00374 so have not been noticed by collectors?
Chet15