Single Six worth

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I ran across an old single six today had nice brown color frame and original lock work and was a six digit serial number 808 I think where the first three. The bad is someone took the drift adjustable sight off and drilled and tapped the barrel in order to mount a scope. They also drilled the old model hammer and tapped it to screw in a thumb extension so they could work the hammer without hitting the scope. The grips looked good but it had no box or paper work so my question is what would something like this be worth, the price I think was $275.

gunman42782

Hunter
With it being drilled on, any collector value is pretty much gone. It is a shooter, and nothing more. I, personally, wouldn't give over $200 for it, and only then if I really wanted it as a shooter.

I'm with 'gunman42782' it is just that , just a shooter...yes, the hammer can be repaired (welded and repolished) OR replace it with another, get a rear 'fixed" sight blade, and put in a plug screw in the top strap hole ( s)??not worth welding the top strap, and rebluing the gun, you'd pass the point of deminishing returns in cost.....................

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I realize it is a shooter but it can be put back to original just wondering if it is worth it. the top strap is not drilled just the barrel so replacing the barrel would fix that. I have and old model hammer so that would fix that and I would think you can find a sight. Just wondering if changing the barrel out is going to kill the value.

gunman42782

Hunter
You will have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. If you have an old model barrel laying around, and a hammer, and can do the work yourself and want to, go for it. If you have to pay a gunsmith to replace the barrel, or buy a old model barrel, you might as well just buy an original in the classifieds, cause you will have a fortune in the gun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Replacing a barrel may end up being a "real chore".

OK, the threads will match up, but, if the amount of barrel extending into the cylinder frame window is different than your original barrel then you'll either have a larger barrel cylinder gap or a too tight b/c gap or even a situation where either the barrel's extension needs to be reduced or increased.
Reducing isn't too bad if you have access to a skilled machinist. Increasing the amount of barrel extension can be very difficult. One must consider the position of the Front Sight and the ejector housing retaining screw while maintaining proper "barrel torque". The ejector housing may then require "shortening".

Grinding off the "face" of the cylinder can be a solution to the "too tight" b/c gap. A precision grinder is needed to do this work.

I'd consider the revolver in question a "parts gun" and would NOT pursue purchase unless I was needing some parts........
and by the sounds of it, it had better be cheap.

JMHO,

flatgate

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
flatgate I think you are right I am going to pass on it I was intrigued by the "brown" frame that looked really clean but I can't justify spending $300 on that. Thanks for all the help everyone.