Prototype Marking/Numbering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Can anyone add any info on this subject. We know that the Single Sixes were marked with letters; A through E or F. The Blackhawks, Hawkeyes and No.1's (at least)are marked with X-1 through X-Whatever. At some point, after GCA68, the 880- prefix was used, at least with 880-00003 on a GP-100 Prototype.
Need to ask DF how the Auto Prototypes were marked, if at all?
What other markings have been used? Who knows anything about this?
Thanks,

flatgate

Hawkeye
IIRC, I've seen pics of more than just a few 880 prefixed guns.

This is s/n X-3 .44 mag. Blackhawk. I think the Legend rollmark is more interesting than the s/n.....

237037126.jpg

The first Bearcat was s/n 1.

170534616.jpg

"Press Release Image"

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
El Numero Uno said:
Can anyone add any info on this subject. We know that the Single Sixes were marked with letters; A through E or F. The Blackhawks, Hawkeyes and No.1's (at least)are marked with X-1 through X-Whatever. At some point, after GCA68, the 880- prefix was used, at least with 880-00003 on a GP-100 Prototype.
Need to ask DF how the Auto Prototypes were marked, if at all?
What other markings have been used? Who knows anything about this?
Thanks,

The early .22 autos used an "X" prefix as well. Was told once by an old employee that generally only the toolroom prototypes received a special number and that pre-production runs would get regular production serial numbers, often taken from other series numbers (I.E. prototype Super Blackhawks #15527 and 15528), which makes sense....just take one off the production line and make it a prototype, then figure out how you're going to sn them later.
The prototype P85's used a V prefix followed by six digits, generally V0000xx etc.
44 Carbines, 10/22's, .357 flattops, .44 flattops and Hawkeye's used "X" prefix numbers, the SA's with their numbers stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard.
Then Ruger used other sequences also. I've seen a pic of a prototype KMK678GC #KGMX1, and Prescott produced .22 auto prototypes are numbered with an 890- prefix, with no rhyme or reason as to why the sn's on some of those are so high (i.e. 890-025xx range).
Prescott's PC4's and PC9's used another different sequence for their prototypes, using what is believed to be a date of the prototype was made....EX061996.
Chet15

d findley

Single-Sixer
Following up on what Chad just said: Prototypes for the Ruger Standard pistol were not serial numbered. The first target model of the Ruger .22 pistol line was serial number 3815. It was produced from an assembly line Standard receiver with a 6 7/8 in. barrel and target sights. Numbers X1 thru X32 were purposed for prototype target pistols. Not all these guns were produced. All had the regular Std. markings, none marked Mark I. The first MKII pistols started out as MKIs and Std. autos, then marked as MKIIs. They (4 pistols) were in the 17 prefix numbers. The first official MKII being 18-00000.

Coogs

Maximum
Maximum proto-types were marked BNM-1 through BNM-7, some with no sights, scopes, I'm almost sure all were fitted with at least one extra barrel, one was fitted with at least six barrels and some had at least one extra cylinder fitted. Coogs.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
That looks like a 357 flattop base pin. I Wonder if it is a 357 flattop frame? Once heard they made a few of those but figured out early they had too much cartridge and too little gun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
X-3, right? Nuttin' is "set in stone", don't 'ya think?
How many .44 Flattops have "WE" seen with that frame's
Rollmark?

Me? ZERO, NONE, NOPE!

flatgate

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Interesting on the Bearcat; I am of the opinion that the same thing was done with the M77 rifle. It was serial numbered, low numbered rifles sent out to Writers for Testfires. On the No.1 rifle, it was X-1 through X-7

chet15

Hawkeye
El Numero Uno said:
Interesting on the Bearcat; I am of the opinion that the same thing was done with the M77 rifle. It was serial numbered, low numbered rifles sent out to Writers for Testfires. On the No.1 rifle, it was X-1 through X-7

I've never heard of a prototype "X" serial numbered M77 either. Wow...wonder if that serial number 1 that I handled a couple years ago was truly the first made, without prototypes??? I do know the bolt was slightly different in that one I believe...if it wasn't that one it was another early M77. Seems the owner said the bolt had characteristics of a Winchester claw extractor or something like that. Don't remember now.
Chet15