Ruger old army with brass grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triaxle

Bearcat
I found a ruger old army black powder with a fact looking brass grip frame gun is aged looking but nice should I get it and what is it I never saw a brass frme one ??????

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
With that many questions and doubt, you should pass it on to someone who knows about such things. If you had Dougan's latest book, you would know about such things as brass framed Old Armys. Get the book!

Triaxle, Ruger did make some Old Army's with brass super blackhawk dragoon style gripframes. They generally had wide smooth triggers and if you look under the grips it should have the letters/numbers MR3-BD cast near the bottom of the gripframe on the interior webbing. These gripframes were also sold as an accessory so there is the chance that it was added to the gun later. You can call the Ruger records dept @ 1(603)865-2424 and give the nice lady the serial number and she can tell you when the gun was shipped and if the brass gripframe was installed on the gun at the factory. This is a pretty desirable combination, especially if shipped from the factory equipped as such, and well worth pursuing if the price is decent. One of these MR3-BD grip frames with a wide serrated trigger and wooden grips recently sold for over $300 here on the forum.

The other gentleman is correct in that there are some pretty good books by a man named John Dougan that has a wealth of information about Ruger handguns and if a person decides to start dipping ones toes into the Ruger water, they are well worth their price. They often appear on the forum for sale as well.

Go get that thing! :D

flatgate

Hawkeye
Robb,

Serrated, OM Super Blackhawk triggers are correct on the BP-7B's....

102016401.jpg

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
Did the smooth wide triggers only get used on non brass OAs?

I don't know the exact period when the Blued OA's received "smooth wide triggers" as the early examples used the skinny Blackhawk/Single-Six designs. My stainless OA has a wide serrated trigger and the "fixed sight" OA has a smooth wide trigger. :D

Of course, all one has to do is read his Ruger Reference.........

flatgate

Sorry once again Carl, ROAs are not of much interest to me so I don't spend a lot of time in the books delving into all the nuances. I was basing my observations on the following which appeared here on the forum recently.
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:49 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's NOT a $60. Super Blackhawk trigger. That's a trigger from a Ruger Old Army black powder gun. ALL 3-screw Super Blackhawk triggers were grooved.

The trigger in question was a wide, smooth trigger. My whole point was to try and give a little help to a relative new member without further pontification on the book need like he was told in the first response to his question. If a person can't come and ask a question without being made to feel like they only deserve help after they have boughten all the books then maybe we take ourselves and our hobby too seriously. I know, probably out of line here but it won't be the first time for me nor will it be the last. :oops:

last Old Army brass frame gun we bought ( well used) but a lettered brass frame gun, was $250 at the Medina,Oh gun show, stripped off the frame, replaced the grip frame with one from a 'shooter" and sold the gun for $300 and got a "free" brass " frame...shop around, that is TOP dollar at $750 for ANY 'Old Army' ................brand new, box and shipper and letters as a 'brassie" may have to 'think about it,,, nah, still too high.......
just MY .02 cents.....................and much like Robb, little or NO interest anyway,just spotted that other deal, and a deal is a deal, ANYTIME.......
(gotta get off the computer and go read a book, can't do BOTH at the same time, ever............) :roll: 8) :wink:

Motex66

Single-Sixer
The Ruger Old Army has been out of production for a flew years now. Things aren't the same as they were. If you want one now you are also competing with the shooters, hunters, and the I want the brass frame guys.

Just a thought.

John