Type 1 transition gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here is the second flat top that somehow found it's way into the converters den the same week as the Ross gun. From what I have read in Dougans books and from reading you stalwarts posts here this should be a type 1 gun with the narrow front sight with wavey surface, non collared basepin, Micro rear sight with the index mark on the elevation screw and the dimpled ER head correct? Also I assume that these guns would be near the end of the typical type 1 serial number range. Once again, since I just bought the gun and have no knowledge of previous owners homeboy parts swapping I just am guessing that this gun currently meets the criteria for this subvariant. Please correct me if this is wrong.
IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1274_1.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278_1.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

If these assumptions are correct, maybe this can serve as a pictorial guide to guys like me who are not as familiar with some of the varieties.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Robb,
Congradulations!!!!! when you report that guns number to Chad
you will have the new lowest number reported on a Type I transition gun.
My gun number 6266 is now listed as the lowest reported gun, yours is seven guns under mine. :D
Your on a roll!!!! :wink:
Terry

PS, WMG has the highest number!

chet15

Hawkeye
That would be a good one to help confirm a starting timeframe for when the large button began to be used. If you call the factory on that, see if they'll give you an exact day of shipping and/or manufacture. Wouldn't surprise me if that one went out in late September 1956.
Oh yes, had that one reported before by RF member mellonhead, but didn't get the sn update transferred to the last revision of the reference. The note by that sn says that it also came with a 9/56 manual? I don't have an example in front of me right now, but am curious if Ruger also made a parts change to large round button in that instruction manual? Like maybe even a airbrushed pic in the parts breakdown of the new button type? Seems that would help substantiate when the large button began to be used.
Chet15

Well gentlemen, the nice lady in records returned my phone call and said the gun shipped in Sept. of 1956. When I explained the request for a specific day as far as being able to fill in some history information she talked to here supervisor and the supervisor said they would make and exception to the month and year rule in this case and let us know that it shipped on Sept 28th, 1956. Hopefully this will add a little more to the history data.

Robb

chet15

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
Well gentlemen, the nice lady in records returned my phone call and said the gun shipped in Sept. of 1956. When I explained the request for a specific day as far as being able to fill in some history information she talked to here supervisor and the supervisor said they would make and exception to the month and year rule in this case and let us know that it shipped on Sept 28th, 1956. Hopefully this will add a little more to the history data.

Robb

I wonder why Ruger has a policy against giving an exact day of mfg. or shipping? Pretty strange....doesn't make sense to be so "secretive" about stuff like that. Oh well.
Thanks for the update Robb!
Chet15

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Nh Rugerman said:
RR-
You and old model Rugers are just like fine wine...only getting BETTER with age :lol: :lol: have a good one!

Fine wine? :shock: In RR's case more like MD20/20 :D Maddog is what we used to call it :D :D

Dan

I forgot to mention that I called Carla in Records back requesting a letter stating the day as well as month and year and she said they had already broken company policy by telling me the 28th date and would not put it in a letter. I thanked her for checking and told her I appreciate the leeway they had already exhibited in this case. They must have their reasons I guess. :?

6259 is on Bob's List, shown as having been converted but with the original parts "in the bag", and wearing a dimpled button.

It's good to get a ship date . . . particularly including the day of shipment. Don't have many of those.

:)

Now I have to take the gripframe off and see if I find the stamp. I also need to look up and see if the skinny trigger or wider trigger is correct or if THAT could be a transistion feature as well.

CONVERSION PARTS? Damn I didn't even look at it closely. I just checked and it does have the transfer bar!

Just kidding guys, throw eggs at me now if you want. :lol:

Have a great weekend,

Robb

let he who is without sin, cast the first egg..........
the less times one works at removing and taking the frame "on and off" the less likely you will "booger" the frame sides, the holes, as well as the screw slots....besides, they are NOT all marked with the "R" on the bottom of the cylinder frame, the early ones 'refitted' were NOT so marked, so that would tell you NOTHING, if the "R" isn't there?????
at least the "ladies" told you the dates, so mark your letter with the day, I have no problem or issue with that ( attach a 'Post It',ha ha.......)

chet15

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
Now I have to take the gripframe off and see if I find the stamp. I also need to look up and see if the skinny trigger or wider trigger is correct or if THAT could be a transistion feature as well.

The skinny trigger would be correct for your gun.
Chet15