Another William Ross twist?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It is funny sometimes how two totally independent events can end up POSSIBLY being related. With the good fortune of the Ross gun in one of the posts below heading to Oregon I continued to go through my Dougan books to glean as much background as possible. As I kept seeing the name William Ross in print I could not help but feel like I had heard that name before, then it dawned on me. About three years ago I was lucky enough to find someone selling a Texas Longhorn Arms Improved #5 single action revolver in 44 mag. I purchased the revolver even though the seller told me it had the original owners name engraved on the backstrap of the gripframe. Being the customizer type that I am I didn't think a thing about sending the gun to Alan Harton to have the name removed, the gripframe refinished, the internals checked for hardness and a set of ivory grips installed. Later this last year I came across the complete TLA #5 parts kit in 41 Mag which is my caliber of choice so while Alan is putting the 41 kit together, I decided to let someone else have the 44 mag gun. It now lives with a RF member in the deep south. Here is a picture of the gun once it was returned from Alan.
IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

The question I have is if anyone knows if William Ross collected high end guns from other manufacturers than Ruger? The reason? The name I foolishly had removed was William Ross!

Would that not be poetic justice for a non collector as myself to end up with one of the Ross flat tops and find that I also owned what might have been William Ross' personal TLA 44 Mag?

Food for thought and another reason to know your history!

chet15

Hawkeye
I'm not sure on the dates, but don't think the Texas Longhorn Arms Improved #5 was in the marketplace before H.W. "Bill" Ross passed away.
Chet15