Ruger rumor control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There's another post elsewhere here regarding the rumor that Ruger will keep any .357 Maximum revolver returned to The Factory for any reason.

Has anyone here actually experienced this themselves? All we ever read about is that someone "heard" this occurs.

The same thng is true concerning the non-return of Old Model internal parts when such a gun is sent to The Factory. I can only recall reading a single instance here where a person said it actually happened to him. Anyone else?

These two have been kicking around Rugerdom for years. Just wondering if we can better verify them.

:)

41 nut

Bearcat
Normally and usually Ruger will return the original parts when a 3 screw is converted. On occasion the original parts will not be returned. I don't know exactly why but believe it is done in error. I have had an old model returned with the original parts missing. Ruger did eventually send me a set of original parts to replace the missing ones.

Don't know about the maximum, but they did recall them so that may be true.

contender

Ruger Guru
I am one of the folks who has "heard" of them keeping a Maxi,, and offering a voucher for another revolver. It happened around me several years ago,, and I wish I could recall the details.
In any event,,, I wouldn't take the chance!!!!

41, you're the one I recall actually experiencing a parts loss, but I didn't want to name names.

Ty, I wouldn't take the chance either.

But I'm still interested in further input from anyone else on these situations.

lovemydals

Buckeye
I have heard about Ruger keeping the Maxi's on two different occasions from two different gun shops. I don't know the reasons for sending the Maxi's to Ruger in the first place. However, they were not returned & each owner was offered anything in lieu of the Maxi's. Of course, this is second had info.

lmd

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Long ago,and far away.........Had a 44 FT refinished by the factory(VERY POORLY, I'D ADD!!) and "reworked"(per whatever"). The OM parts were not returned.........Later, the gun was passed to it's new(and, still, today, new owner) He cried "foul". With a copy of the "old" invoice, he received the "old parts" in a sealed plastic bag............BTW, the invoice did not say the originalo parts were returned.......This is a story, of a some 20+ years ago "situation" 8) MIKE

Coogs

Maximum
Once again, I have only heard of this happening, and in the other post mentioned, I explain why I think Ruger will keep a Max if sent back. I'm still lookin' for someone that this actually happened to, cause I'd be interested in the gun as well as the paper work if it were to become available, Coogs.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Ale-8(1),

Dick, I think this could be put to bed (maxi's) with a simple call to Ruger
service dept.

"Sir, I have a .357 Maxi that I would like to send back for work, but have been told that Ruger will keep my gun and replace it with another. Is this true?"

I would have thought that someone at one time or another would have made such a call. Thats who we need to hear from.
JMO
Terry

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hmm, well, I had a Maxi shooter and set it back to Southport for some sort of work.

Turn around was quick and the charge was Zip!

Now, on the other hand, I returned a worn ol' Super Blackhawk for refinishing. I removed the lockwork and replaced it with a transfer bar "kit"...

Upon return of the fine ol' Super I discovered I was the recipient of a brand new ALUMINUM EJECTOR HOUSING :shock: Of course, I immediately called the Service Dept. and inquired. "Send it back and we'll make it right!" Over my dead body! After some more phone discussions I was told by the nice person on the phone that she would "go to the parts room and pick out the nicest OM steel, straight slot, ejector housing they had" and send it to me.

Now I have one sharp looking 4 digit OM Super as a shooter! Of course it sports the original "lockwork"!

357690092.jpg

:D
flatgate

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I know they're not sending all the OM parts back. My brother spoke with an employee a yr or so ago and it was mentioned they have a 5 gallon bucket for just OM parts that at the time, was almost full. :shock:
Yes, we tried, no we couldn't. :lol:

Coogs

Maximum
Terry, I was going to mention that in my previous thread here but thought I would just wait for the outcome when I call Ruger service tomorrow. I've got a couple of other questions for them as well as records. I'll see what the say, Coogs.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Coogs said:
Terry, I was going to mention that in my previous thread here but thought I would just wait for the outcome when I call Ruger service tomorrow. I've got a couple of other questions for them as well as records. I'll see what the say, Coogs.

That will be interesting to know!!!
Terry

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I chimed in on the referenced thread (and have NO IDEA why it got locked) as I've had good information on a SRM sent to the factory work repair and the owner received a letter offering a new 357 Magnum BH as the SRM was "recalled for engineering problems" (paraphrased). The info came from the very reputable owner of a very reputable gun store.

I'm not about to send in any of mine to test the story. The SRM guns are true Ruger collectables, and they are one fine whitetail handgun.

I guess the matter will be settled when someone calls the service department.

Please post the answer here!

what they say and what they will actually do is the REAL question, as I thought sometime back someone put a copy of the actual letter from Ruger stating this????? Coogs, wasn't that yours??
I KNOW for a fact when we sent a 200th year Mini -14 in they could not and would not work on it , had no parts and said for "us" to send in $325 for a "current model replacement"...the OWNER, who happens to be an attorney, said to "return my unfixed firearm...." and they did........he now owns a 22 long rifle caliber "conversion" 200th year Mini-14.........the "original" ( old round style bolt) sheared off the locking lugs..........
as for the "parts" coming back, saw two this weekend that were recently "converted" and the customers got their "old parts" set back.

mattsbox99

Hunter
While I have no experience, what Dan has eluded to is what I think is going on. If you return a Max for any reason that they cannot repair, they will keep it, if they can repair it, they will. This is what they do with any firearm returned unrepairable.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=106422&highlight=maximum

Previous thread, discussing the problem and presenting the Factory Explanation for the situation.

No resolution to the "do they or don't they" question, however.

Coogs

Maximum
Well I have an "official answer" to the "DON'T SEND THAT MAX IN, THEY WILL KEEP IT" question. NO, THEY WILL NOT KEEP IT!!!! I e-mailed service yesterday, asking them what is the "official" policy regarding the return and repair of a Maximum. Their response, in full.............."We recommend that you send your entire firearm into our Product Sevice Department for evaluation. Ship to: S & R 411 Sunapee St. Newport, NH 03773. Put a letter inside with your firearm stating the problem. Include a daytime phone number, return UPS address, and a mailing address. After evaluation it will be determined if service is available or not. The revolver is your property and will be returned to you even if you decline service or replacement if service is not available."
Looks like there still may be that option though of a "trade-in" .........."...........replacement if service is not available." You could take that one a few different ways. So in my opinion, don't listen to those people, (including myself!!) that tell ya not to send your Max in, the Factory WILL NOT KEEP IT! Now, mabye back in the hectic, liability fever ridden time of 1982-1983.........when the Max issue was an issue,(in part, thanks to underinformed and over egoed gun writers of the time) Ruger, ie their agents/employees may have kept one or two during the Max panic, I highly doubt it would hapen today. But..............one can only wonder?????????????????? If ya need to send one in, just send it to me.....that way you can rest assured that someone WILL KEEP IT!!! LOVE YA, COOGS>!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Coogs, thanks for going "the extra mile" in pursuit of information.

Were I considering sending a Max in for service, I believe I'd contact Ruger for confirmation of their policy at the time. But it sounds like everything is OK.

:) :) :)

Coogs, send in one of yours and let us know how that works out. I really believe it's who you get as to what happens.
I called and talked to service on the phone, described the repair situation and they asked for the serial #. I gave it to him, and he said , "yep, that's a Maximum', like I didn't know it already. He said they could not provide any repair services as it was listed as a 'recall product' and they would offer me a replacement of something else. That's as far as it got because I declines and I says thanks for your time. This was just 4 weeks ago.

kinda like " we are with the government and are here to HELP you..." :shock:

I would not and will continue to "advise" folks, NOT to send it in as that "part of a recall notice" is sufficient grounds to keep it, per MY attorney, and he's NOT familier with what the "currant cost" ( rate) is to retain a LOCAL attorney of the state that would be involved in any litigation, we one time found out the hard way it would cost $3,000 to retain a "Kalyfornya" attorney to try and recoup a "bad" $600 deal.......... 8)
I'm with 'jimbo' 100 %...........................

(don't ya just LOVE "Ruger lore".........) :roll:

Latest posts