Ross Gun- thanks TA Workman-Ivory added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
15023 is the only one I've ever noted. Strongly suspect that whatever parts they were using at the time is what got put on those other late shipped guns. So when the frames finally came through, as long as they passed inspection they probably didn't sit long in the shipping dept.
Chet15

Very likely true. And this would strongly lean toward the installation of the later round-button rods.

The prime question still remains: which front sight was on these guns?

If the frames were numbered and had their barrels installed in 1956, it's likely they had the "squiggly" front sights, thus making them ROSS variations, albiet with round buttons.

But if the barrels were installed later, in 1957 and 1958 as indicated by the ship dates, then they likely have the later style front sights and are Type 2 guns, even if they fall within the ROSS numbering range.

Need hard data.

:)

chet15

Hawkeye
The earliest mfg. date I have on a Type 2A .357 is 2/6/57 which is sn 7631. The earliest Type 2A I have reported is 7407. It may very well be that as Ruger got the 2nd group of "X" numbered prototype .44 FT's assembled (the large frame guns) that they made a running line change in the looks of the newer style front sight, probably October 1956...the same month regular 44 FT production would have at least begun by.
It wouldn't surprise me if Ruger then had a hiatus in .357 FT production in order to get a nice grouping of the new .44 flattop assembled and in the shipping dept. This would explain why there area a few known unused "squiggly" matte .357 front sights around that are still in the white....Ruger didn't use them up...just made the running line change while the .44 FT was being developed and axed the old style sight.
With all of those late shipped .357's having ship dates starting at 1/16/57, they could very well all have the later style sight.
Chet15

That's kinda where Dan and I are coming from, Chet15.

There's a lot of speculation, which is why we need HARD DATA on those late-shipped guns.

Please understand that I have no firm position on this. I just want us to get all the facts for the sake of understanding.

:)

americal

Hunter
WELL I will put my totally un-informed opinion on this very interesting discussion & I am not a real deal Ruger collector--but I have worked on a production line :) 37 years--and I think a lotta things went on in that little RED BARN that will never be figured out. The pressures of production will result in things going on that Mr. Ruger did not know about -guys get tired-people sneak around and do things not following their instructions --Bill could not watch everything going on in that little place --yes there was pride in the product and thats why Rugers are so good :D but things had to get by final inspection that did not meet a certain pattern of the time--it happens in production lines and FINAL inspection :arrow: nothing like telling guys what they already know :lol: :lol:

americal, you hit the nail right on the head, as well as all too often things were told to folks to "do something" word of mouth,nothing in writing, and this is a FACT...........................just as often it is said that things did NOT get thrown away, things did NOT get scrapped, and they put and used parts in any and all guns to get them shipped out, on time....and we are talking about "parts",NOT manufacturing changes,concepts or design, in either function or building ( making them)...nature of the beast,"man, making things for man...." so you can add to your "list" as to how and when something went back through the system and got repolished, reblued, BEFORE it ever left in the first place,,,,boo bbos, slips ups, "dropped the gun" or anything else one can think of in a shop invironment...... :roll:

and add their "written" policy to return your gun at any time if you do not like the way the finish turned out..... 8)

Well after dipping my toes into the "Factory Ivories" puddle I decided I wasn't smart enough to ascertain via just pictures what was factory versus nice non-factory. Instead, I decided to grab the ivories Buffalo4star posted for sale and boy am I glad I did. They are as nicely figured as any other set of ivories I have ever owned. They slid right on the this gun and really gave it a touch of class. At least in my simple opinion. I am sorry for the poor photos but they look really nice in real life. :D A happy camper to say the least.
IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1296_1.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1298_1.jpg

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Robb....The ivories look great on the .357! Am happy you are pleased with them....Louis (buffalo4star)