Name This Pistol!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Rod:
Out of curiosity, have you done a mike of barrel length and all the other measurements of that one with a normal 514 barrel? Just curious if the barrel comes out right at 5-1/4" or if those threads extend out a little.
Or, might Ruger have moved the front sight band back a little to get enough threads on the end, or maybe the front portion of the front sight base/band needed turned down to thread diameter?
The 5-1/4" barrel length obviously worked much better for that job than the longer 6-7/8" barrel.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
With Rod's latest acquisition I've found it necessary to revise the paragraph in the reference that speaks about the threaded barrel US T514's. The paragraph was somewhat confusing because I didn't note that Rods gun is the only one known with a threaded end. Here's how I revised that paragraph...

"U.S." marked T514 with barrel threaded at end. One known, s/n 76634. Extremely rare! Believed to have been specially ordered and used with silencer by U.S. "tunnel-rats" in Vietnam. It is apparent on this known pistol that approximately .050" of the front of the front sight base and band were milled in order to gain enough threads at the end of the barrel for silencer attachment. In addition, many "U.S." marked pistols in the first contract s/n range of 75845 to 79979 are also believed to have had threaded barrels at one time, these being changed to other barrels by SARCO or Numrich Arms upon their retirement from the U.S. Military. Those known of course have non-threaded barrels "other than" a 6-7/8" barrel. Examples with RST4 barrels include s/n's 76274, 77201, 77221, 77223, 77728, 78097, 78514, 78717, 78721, 78833, 79147, 79203 and 79746. Examples with RST6 barrels include s/n's 76101, 77402 and 79173. Examples with non-threaded T514 barrels include s/n's 78252 and 78348. It is entirely possible that some of these guns were re-barreled by SARCO or Numrich with 6-7/8" Target barrels, therefore making them unidentifiable as an original 5-1/4" threaded example.

Now, without a factory letter saying these left as 5-1/4", this is all just speculative. But everybody has to agree that something happened here. Nowhere else in the entire auto series are there as many known "non-standard" barrels known. And this sn range has 18 non-standard guns noted. Something definitely happened there I.M.O.
Chet15

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Chet, the previous owner Mr Wing-Kwong Keung dropped of the letter he received from a Mr Stephen K Vogel on January 3, 1988 when he inquired about this pistol.....the meat of the letter says.....

"Our records show that this pistol was shipped in August of 1956, with a 5 1/4" barrel, to a U.S. Government agency. The markings you describe would be correct for this model."

Mr Keung stated to me the "markings" he had asked about were the "threads".....not the U.S. stamping.....but obviously the answer isn't clear with out knowledge of the conversation that took place at that time....at least it has been verified as a true 514 from the beginning :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
A truly unique and excellent find my friend. I too have an affection for such things.
As the old saying goes; "If this gun could only talk!"