10/22 oddity............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picked up at the gun show this weekend, an "unfinished" raw casting of the 10/22 receiver....................

10-22rece.jpg

10-22recg.jpg

never saw one of these before, as we've seen and have the RSS ones, and those were done by Ruger, this was "contracted".........

Snake45

Hawkeye
Interesting. Did you have to transfer it on a 4473, etc.?

Are you going to finish it out, or just keep it as a paperweight/conversation piece?

not a Ruger (Pinetree) casting, it was contracted to their company from Ruger, just like some stainless parts we had gotten from a company in Canada that also did work for Ruger and their MK IIs................waiting to hear more from some of the 10/22 collectors, sadly one is dead, one is 'retired" ( sabbatical???) and the other is "busy".............like anything else "parts" and accessories are all too often sourced out,gotta try and find licensing agreements ,etc.............in this case, they did NOT do the final finishing, fitting or numbering...had one years ago, came from AMT . and done in stainless, Ruger did NOT..................

chet15

Hawkeye
Was it Alcoa that cast those for Ruger since they did their grip frames from 1953 and up? Am curious if there are any founder's marks on Ruger's 10/22 receiver castings that can prove for you where it came from.
And Yes, I'd always heard (and it makes sense) that its not a firearm until it has a serial number on it. I remember right up to a point not so long ago that there were folks who were a little apprehensive about talking about as-cast receivers because they thought they might somehow be illegal. Well, except for being "liberated" from the contractor or from Ruger, ATF doesn't care.
Chet15

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
From what I've read, as I've looked into buying and finishing receiver castings. The ATF seems to say it needs to have a serial number and is a fire arm, if it approaches being 80% complete. Unfortunately they will not exactly define what 80% complete is!!!

Of course the rules change a bit if you are a hobby maker, gunsmith doing business, manufacturer or importer!

Gotta keep government complex and interpretation of the law complex so we can keep all those poor lawyers fed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, he only said they were "subcontracted for Ruger..." he had told us about them some time ago, and finally remembered and 'found" one,for "show & no tell.." and no to the 'ATF,' as an agent was next to me when I received this, ( a friend, off duty....ha ha) it's a "'casting, not finished, not numbered, not a firearm..."
and our other friend from the Federal Task force......not working??
(Akron area has a "few"?? problems with 'gang bangers'??? hanging around shows and stealing stuff......) 8)

Both said "neat, interesting paperweight...."