"D" marked question --pic on pg 2 finally....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yessir, strange indeed, and are you certain that is the serial number now??? in the 400,000 range??? got ALL 'confused' above........
as for the question, yes, I agree with Chet that there should be a "premium" on any of the "D" guns, but in the case of added ( engraving) scratches??? of a "personal note, drivrs lic or Soc Sec number, then by alll means any 'collectors value or premium is out the window.....and makes this gun a CANDIDATE for some sort of 'restoration /repair' to remove the offending personal notage....
AZDan, that picture is awesome, now THAT is purty.............

and Dan in MI, just what or how was the serial number number on this gun in question???? you can leave out the last digit or whatever, but tell us ALL , in order............is there a "D" stamped on it in front of the serial numbers ?? ( gosh, how a picuture would solve all of this........) :wink:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Serial number was D497xxx. (didn't note the remainder) Same size D as the digits. I took my camera and was going to get a shot but was really surprised at the shops reluctance to let me see it again. I screwed up in the first post, but I didn't get to see it well the first time as the new owner to be had a tight grip on it and for some reason the 2 stuck in my head. That's why I though it was a 200K number.

Full length of the bottom of the frame was the 13 digit Mi drivers license number of a previous owner engraved. I think with a buzz engraver.

Sorry about the confusion, but I wasn't looking hard after I saw the engraving and got caught up into telling the guy the D had nothing to with the second cylinder.

I'll be in and out of the shop some the next couple weeks. If I hit it when the new owner to be is there I'm sure he'll let me fondle it more.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Dan in MI said:
I think you missed this....

Dan in MI said:
It was in very nice condition except the previous owner engaved his drivers license number on the frame full length under the serial number. :shock:

I was being a little sarcastic.

Again I didn't get a lot of time with it. They were reluctant to let me fondle it since it was sold. No House/arrow/star, I know that because I showed him where it be ID'd as .22LR only to explain that the D didn't mean dual cyl. The serial # was higher than my old timers memory thought 426xx. I want to say 6.5" but I'm not sure I could the diff in the little time I had when I was concentrating on the frame.

this one D493639

Dsinglesix003.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
If its D426xxx, that would be another unusal serial range for that one...though of course, a duplicate serial numbering error can happen at any time.
Note that Pverzal's new acquisition is also (so far) a one-only in its own serial number range....pretty much "discovered" fifty years after Ruger collecting got serious which is really something for a gun to run around that long and nobody discovering it.
If you are sure of the SN, please send me a PM (to keep it secret you know on ownership) so I can document that sn in the reference. At this time the gun is apparently "unique" in its own sn range.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Dan in MI said:
Here is the specimen of record (after all of my poor memory goofs...)

DSCN0109.jpg

Amazing! Two "D" guns out of the normally seen sn ranges found in the last few months!
Can you verify for me that it does indeed have a 6-1/2" barrel?
Chet15

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Chad I was thinking the same thing myself. Should call to see what barrel it was shipped with. To bad this one got a tattoo :cry: Rumor has it there may be a single six collection on display for the Puyallup/WAC show in a few weeks. :)

yes Dan, that is a "perfect" example of the kind of stuff we get ALL the time to be redone, the electric pencil blemish ( info ) removed.got one here now, being repolished but Photobucket is 'down" so cannot show you,but the lower portion must be polished out and blended in, thus calling for the entire frame to be 'reblued" all one can do otherwise is "obliterate" the offending numerals to make them undistuinguishable, and touch up with a bit of 'cold blue'.do NOT get anywhere NEAR the serial numbers, as that may be a "federal offense"................... 8)