Welcome Your Comments On...........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
Found a blued Ruger Police Service Six .38 Spl 200th Year (SDA-84) today that has issues, but can be rectified. However, not sure if it's worth the effort & cost.

The issues are; missing the ejector spring, three or four large spots of blueing missing & a really pronounced cylinder ring.

However, no rust or pitting & it locks up fairly tight.

Questions; Is it worthwhile to send it to Ruger for recondidtioning & blueing? Has anyone sent a firearm to Ruger for reblueing? If so, were you satisified with the work?

The plus side of this SDA-84, is that it's in CA & available as a private party sale. If it's not already in CA, it cannot be imported per CA DOJ Safe Handgun rules.

lmd

flatgate

Hawkeye
I think you've answered your question!

Yes, I've had mostly GREAT luck with sending stuff to Ruger for work.

My ONLY problem occurred with a OM that was refinished but returned with an aluminum ejector housing in place of my steel ejector housing. :(
I was totally bummed. I asked for my housing back. "Send the gun in and we'll fix it." Nah, I said I wanted my steel housing back NOW and don't care if it's refinished on not.......

I received a suitable "replacement" that was refinished and everything worked out just fine......

The work is quite nice, IMHO.

flatgate

if thats the only "parts" missing issue, my suggestion would also be to at least call factory service, ask them........possible price quote?? go and decide from there, lots of GOOD smiths and shops are out there and that is pretty basic, cut and dry..............just do NOT ask for any "high polish or lustre type refinish they look like "CRAP"..........it will LOOK like a 'reblued gun" not a proper restoration..............if a gun LOOKS reblued, obviously it was.
Good , fair price and would fall in an affordable option of having the work done...............remember , the TOTAL cost of any and all shippng & handling, to and from, as well as the parts and labor..........

lovemydals

Buckeye
After some troubleshooting, I discovered it was missing the ejector rod washer & not the ejector rod spring. I was able to locate one after searching Internet sites (Numrich, Ruger & a few others) from Jack First Gun Smithing. Installed it & all is well. For now, I'm going to leave it as is.

lmd