Price thoughts on this one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I saw a decent old Ruger today. I think it was maybe called an rs4... I probably am wrong. Anyway, the note on the box says it's a 1958 model.... its a Ruger single six (not convertable) with a 4 5/8" bbl.

It had a normal loading gate (not flat gate) and the black rubber grips which were in real nice shape. the blueing was pretty good but the ejector rod housing had maybe half or more of the blueing worn/faded? away.

It was in the original box and asking price was $400. Is that a bit high for the condition? what do you guys think it would be worth? I like the shot ones!

Edited to add: I didnt look at the box very close, but it appeared from first glance, that the sides were kind of grey in color? Is that right for that age gun?

flatgate

Hawkeye
RSS4. Nice! I have a pic of a RSS4W, i.e. one with walnut grips and its' original box.....long since traded to a friend for something else.....

12680110.jpg

No grey box sides, though.

flatgate

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Flatgate. What year are those boxes in your picture? Does anyone have the box from a 1957-59 gun like this?

So you think $400 is a good price even with the wear it has? Dangit.... I should have grabbed it! I gotta get in touch with the seller and see if I can still get it!

And I am thinking the rubber grips were correct, right?

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey TA these guys are asleep at the wheel......all blue 4 5/8's gun in a grey box....HMMMM...don't sound like a RSS4 to me....maybe a LWAC or LWSC......if it has a green wreath on the top I will give you the 400 dollars and you can keep the gun........geez leave for a few days and everyone gets silly.....RR.

street

Hunter
If you people would read the RENE you would not let those $400 to $1200, Lightweight boxes get away from you. Not to mention those $500 to $900 Lightweight guns get away. Now if that All Blue Lightweight had a "D" on it you are looking at over $2000 for that gun. "GET THE "RENE" AND READ IT'. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That should be a "S" not a D. Although a "D" would be worth a lot more, as none have been found with a D. Now if it had a "D" to go along with that "S" what would that be worth!!! :shock: Anyway as I was saying before RR pointed out my mistake on the "S-D" deal. You guys need to get the RENE and read it, and then read it again. :lol:

yessir, gotta "pay attention" and know a little bit about these guns.....
here is one we picked up Saturday, guy said it was "an RSS and he knows, he's an EXPERT....." oh well, I just gave him his price and thank 'ed him.....

aLW211540.jpg

alas, no box.................yes, its a LWSC.................2115xx range

chet15

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Yep...gray box...sounds like a Lightweight to me. Snooze ya lose.
Chet15

Also, if you got that 1958 date off of Ruger's website, it probably is a Lightweight since the 4-5/8" steel framed Single-Six didn't come out until 1959.
Did the gun have a serial number in the 2xxxxx range? If so, is a Lightweight.
Chet15

street

Hunter
rugerguy said:
yessir, gotta "pay attention" and know a little bit about these guns.....
here is one we picked up Saturday, guy said it was "an RSS and he knows, he's an EXPERT....." oh well, I just gave him his price and thank 'ed him.....

aLW211540.jpg

alas, no box.................yes, its a LWSC.................2115xx range

Yes, years ago, I bought an all blue Lightweight for $85.00, which was the going rate for a used Single-Six. The guy that sold it to me just thought it was a run of the mill Single-Six. At the time you could buy a Lightweight for $300 to $350. We didn't have the RENE back then but we had Jeff Munnell's book, "Ruger Rimfire Revolvers 1953-1973" That one gun more then repaid me for the cost of that book. A FEW DOLLARS INVESTED IN GOOD INFORMATION IS WELL WORTH IT.

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
T.A. WORKMAN said:
As Spitz has often reminded us,,,,,,,,Books,,,,Books,,,,,Books!!

ShortBBL, Are either one of these the box you saw?????
Terry

PS,, Nice snag Dan!!!!!

You forgot the pics.

And Chet... the guy selling it had the tag marks as a 1958.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
ShortBBL said:
T.A. WORKMAN said:
As Spitz has often reminded us,,,,,,,,Books,,,,Books,,,,,Books!!

ShortBBL, Are either one of these the box you saw?????
Terry

PS,, Nice snag Dan!!!!!

You forgot the pics.

And Chet... the guy selling it had the tag marks as a 1958.

No I did post them> Look on page one of your post?
Terry