Hawkeye rear sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clocks

Bearcat
Is there anything special or any value to a Hawkeye pistol rear sight assy.or are they the same as the blackhawks.???
Leon

flatgate

Hawkeye
The early issue Hawkeyes were fitted with a steel Micro brand rear sight. By mid 1963 the supply of Micro sights was exhausted and an aluminum rear sight was utilized throughout the remainder of production.

Super Blackhawks and Blackhawks used the same rear sights during the same periods in time.

So, yes, I feel there's a higher value associated with the "square front" Micro sights over and above the plain ol' aluminum designs.

120873523.jpg

flatgate

clocks

Bearcat
Flatgate;

The way I understand it then is, ,that the one I have is the later style like the bottom two in your picture.however it came off a 3 digit gun, probably been replaced then right?
Leon

flatgate

Hawkeye
Only two sights to be concerned with......both have "square" fronts, not half round like the sights used on the Flattop .357's and .44's; bottom left sight in my image.

Steel "Micro" marked or Aluminum "Plain" with no markings.

Three digit Hawkeye? Depending on ship date, either style could be correct.

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
As Flatgate said, the MICRO rear sight was being transitioned out as the Hawkeye was being produced, so is known on those pistols numbered from #7 to #1861.
Don't change it!
Chet15

clocks

Bearcat
Thanks to all for some very good information. The sight is like Flatgate's bottom right picture aluminum with sq.front and no Micro stamp. S/N was in the 300 range.Thanks again for the help.
Leon

chet15

Hawkeye
OK, for non Micro sight Hawkeyes, I have them noted from serial number 5 through the end of the production. its my belief that except for the tail end of production that the Micro rear sight was assembled pretty much at random with the aluminum rear sight until at least the 18xx range.
That old parts bin theory rings true there, whatever they grabbed is what went on them.
Chet15

clocks

Bearcat
OK--Enclosed are pictures of the sight in question. Would anyone venture to put a value on it for selling as I no longer need it :?: :?:

Hawkeyesight001.jpg

Hawkeyesight003.jpg

Hawkeyesight002.jpg

More pictures available if needed Thanks for looking
Leon