Ruger employee gifted wallet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Anyone have a good description or image of the men's leather wallet from 1966? Were there other leather wallets produced as employee gifts?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a pic of one somewhere buried in my paperwork. It was from a well used wallet that the employee carried,, a lot. I don't know where it is stashed,, but I'll try & dig it up after I get back from Harrisburg!

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I have one but it is boxed up. I will see about getting to it and take a pic. I do remember they are brown in color and have a small metal peice with the eagle logo on it.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Hmmm, ok. Guess it was a false alarm. Recently came across a Ruger branded one that was a employee gift. Long time employee whose family was passing a few items off. Snagged the wallet. Still in the box with the maker's card in it. Guess all his items were graciously accepted and then tucked away. The woman said she believed it was 15+/- years old but it just seemed older for some reason. No metal tag on this one. I'll take a pic later.

chet15

Hawkeye
There was another one (besides the 1966 leather Anson wallet) that Ruger probably did...maybe sometime in the 1980's or early '90's? As I recall it was green or brownish with a Ruger eagle logo on it, not leather....I can't think of the name of the material now but basically a polyester with a texture to it.
Chet15

circlergrugers

Vaquero
Here we go with the wallet RPM describes.
DSCN1685.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, thats it...I wanted to keep saying a cuorduroy polyester material, but wasn't sure that described it.
I don't know the whole history on this one though. Although every time one comes up it seems to come from a factory source.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
That's not the '66 Wallet.
The '66 Wallet is plain and as mentioned with the smal rectangular brass colored emblem with Ruger eagle logo at one corner of the wallet.
It would seem that the wallet you have pictured is not factory. I note that the word "RUGER" appears to be the font style as used with the '79 triangular Ruger 30th Year patch.
Chet15

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
There is a picture of the Anson 1966 wallet in the Ruger Collectors' Journal September. 1980 Vol. 4 No. 3 page 17. It shows an estimated quantity of 250 and a value of $250. What would that be in 2011 dollars?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
chet15 said:
That's not the '66 Wallet.
The '66 Wallet is plain and as mentioned with the smal rectangular brass colored emblem with Ruger eagle logo at one corner of the wallet.
It would seem that the wallet you have pictured is not factory. I note that the word "RUGER" appears to be the font style as used with the '79 triangular Ruger 30th Year patch.
Chet15

Got thinking about the letter style at dinner tonight. What I'm told is that is was given to a man as an employee gift 15 or so years ago. This is according to the man's wife/widow. Seems quite nicely done for a knock-off. Regardless, I like it and it fits nicely with the rest of the "stuff". :)

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I would guess that your wallet is a knock off. I don't see the "R" registered trade mark on it. Normally you would see a few others like it if it was an employee gift. Sometimes those items could be a proto type or sample. I have a few memorabilia items like that some even say sales sample on them. Needless to say it is something with Ruger on it and worth having in any memorabilia collection. I have several non factory issued items as I am sure most collectors have also. like belt buckles,hat pins, patches and some of the zippo type lighters I have seen in the past.

chet15

Hawkeye
OldRugerMan said:
There is a picture of the Anson 1966 wallet in the Ruger Collectors' Journal September. 1980 Vol. 4 No. 3 page 17. It shows an estimated quantity of 250 and a value of $250. What would that be in 2011 dollars?

Well, lets see..when considering inflation of 4 to 6% for 31 years, would be somewhere over $1,500 in todays dollars.
I think I sold mine for $450 or so two or three years ago.
And when you find a 1966 wallet in its original ANSON box, you've really got a great item!
I think most of the employees used their wallets as I've only heard of 3 or 4 of them.
Ruger had 209 employees at the end of 1966, so 250 made of that wallet is probably pretty close.
Chet15