RSS4X S Question Pictures Added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I looked at an interesting revolver this afternoon.

An RSS4X serial number 430402 in about 90% condition, with an "S"
stamped on the cylinder frame in front of the trigger guard!!! :)

Gun has been converted and no old parts, no box and no spare cylinder. :cry:

When I called Ruger they stated that it had shipped as a RSS4X but no
record of ever shipping as an "S" gun.

My question is,,, Has anyone on the forum here ever had a RSS4X "S" gun in this range which would or would not letter???

Thanks
Terry

035-1.jpg

034-3.jpg

033-3.jpg

027-5.jpg

018-4.jpg

019-8.jpg

014-14.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
heck I would buy it if the price was reasonable.....I think Jim S has a RSS4 that has an S without lettering if I remember right....RR.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I agree with the others. Flatgate's advice rings especially true. If it has an S on it, and it's a good price, I'd jump on it. You can always research it once you have it....who knows what you can find over time.

BB45C

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I told him I would get back to him tomorrow. He knows he has
something different but he also understands it has issues, he was there
when I called Ruger Records. We will see!!
Terry

radicalrod

Hunter
TA, when I bought the BKH47 that was in the 13xxx range records told me it was a BKH46.....I called 3 times over the years and finally as I was going to give up the 3rd call several years later was a BINGO :lol: :lol: :lol: shipped the FIRST time as a 46 and the SECOND as a 47.....she asked if it had an S stamped on the frame :D :D :D I said NO and she asked if I would like her to put it in a letter.....OH YES I WOULD.......good luck, RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
Also, its my belief that Ruger may have a 2nd set of records for their "S" guns, the reason being that when a gun gets returned to the factory and is refurbished and returned to stock, Ruger pretty much needs a whole new ledger space for it. Same thing with "D" guns...I'm about 95% positive those at least have a separate ledger. So when you speak with them at the factory, ask them if your gun might be noted in a separate ledger (daybook, or whatever).
Yes, as several here mentioned, buy it. If it does turn out to be a "second" you will have one rare gun there. Steel framed factory "seconds" are a lot rarer than aluminum framed guns (i.e. Lightweights, Bearcats and 10/22's).
Oh yes, there's a good chance that the RSS4X in question, #430402 doesn't have INC in the barrel address either, a scarce variation in its own right.
Chet15

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Well I just got off the phone with the owner and I went ahead and bought
the gun. I'll post some pictures as soon as I pick her up.
Terry
PS, Chad you are correct it does not have "inc." on the barrel
I forgot to mention that yesterday.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
radicalrod said:
TA, when I bought the BKH47 that was in the 13xxx range records told me it was a BKH46.....I called 3 times over the years and finally as I was going to give up the 3rd call several years later was a BINGO :lol: :lol: :lol: shipped the FIRST time as a 46 and the SECOND as a 47.....she asked if it had an S stamped on the frame :D :D :D I said NO and she asked if I would like her to put it in a letter.....OH YES I WOULD.......good luck, RR.

Yes, you are correct and I had a similar experience with a SN 10xxx 7 1/2" 44 FT that was "born" with a 6 1/2' barrel, returned and reshipped as a 7 1/2". It is also carried on record as an unmarked "S" gun. When it was being investigated, I remained on the phone, late in the afternoon of a Friday. The staff member went to at least three sources to find all the snake trail for that gun. It letters, as does Hawkeye Single Shot SN 1839 which is also an unmarked "S" gun. I do quietly wish that the staff member who did these investigations for us, was still present in that dept, as she knew her position responsibiites and where to look for the information. All of that, plus, comes with experience and self confidence, I believe. :wink:
MIKE

chet15

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Terry

We're all curious to have a peek at that one. Does the frame have purple color to it? Quite a few "S" guns are known from 385xxx to 416xxx because of purple frames.
Chad

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
chet15 said:
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Terry

We're all curious to have a peek at that one. Does the frame have purple color to it? Quite a few "S" guns are known from 385xxx to 416xxx because of purple frames.
Chad

Chad in the right light you can see a purple tinge, but its hard to with the camera. I need better photo skills than mine.

Cylinder in the gun is .22 Mag, so I need a set of OM Single-Six parts, an OM .22 Cal. cylinder OAL 1.613), Tough Box Paper work, Grips,,,,,,,, :shock: and the gun still proubly won't letter!! You Gotta Love It!!!! :D :D :D
Terry

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
T.A. WORKMAN said:
When I called Ruger they stated that it had shipped as a RSS4X but no record of ever shipping as an "S" gun.

Neat gun, I have an RSS4X in that non-INC range (429xxx) but I don't think it has the "S" (but now I'll have to dig it out to check!). I remember being kind of a dog condition-wise.

Just wanted to make sure you are asking the right questions with Records. From my experience, they didn't always keep track of "S" guns as such, particularly when the "S" is not next to the SN. So the question to ask is whether they can confirm two ship dates. I have letters on "S" guns that make no mention of the "S" but state the dual ship dates. Of course, some "S" guns only shipped once, like the Lightweights, so it is no guarantee.

chet15

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN said:

Hmm...that's an awfully big "S".
A couple questions....did Ruger confirm that as RSS4X? The only reason I ask is that all the "S" guns known and made from the 385xx to 416xxx range were shipped as LR only, I assume because Ruger just wanted to get them out of there as cheap as possible, and probably at a discount to the purchasing distributor. The same goes for the two known factory "second" Super Single-Sixes that are known, both shipped as LR only. But, all of these also have very purple cylinder frames.
But, 462207 was shipped as a convertible.
Also I'm curious about a shipping date and if it would be anywhere near April 1965. I give that date because it seems a lot of "unusual" guns left at that time such as the last batch of "S" Lightweights, the 385xxx to 416xxx range "S" Single-Sixes and the strange early numbered Super Blackhawks with .41 Mag. INC barrel address.
Anybody have a file pic of the "S" on the bottom of the Lightweight frame?
Chet15

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Chet,
Ruger records did comfirm it shipped as an RSS4X, did not get the date.
I'm going to try WMG's method and I'll keep you posted. I used super micro setting for that picture.
Terry

chet15

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Chet,
Ruger records did comfirm it shipped as an RSS4X, did not get the date.
I'm going to try WMG's method and I'll keep you posted. I used super micro setting for that picture.
Terry

Yes, I'm just thinking about the "S" stamp. The "S" Lightweights with "S" on bottom had a large "S", but wasn't sure it was that large. Of course, the factory could probably use any "S" stamp they wanted. Your gun does look to have the same type "S" used for proofing Ruger's later SA centerfire cylinders (began about January 1961).
Also, as mentioned in my earlier post, I'm pretty sure Ruger has a 2nd book for their "seconds". That seemed to be the situation anyway when pverzal came up with the 3rd known all-blue Super Bearcat without the .22 cal on the barrel. It was returned to the factory, returned to stock and then re-shipped, although that gun isn't "S" marked either.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Yes, there was a "second" source of information when SN 10xxx 44 FT 7 1/2" lettered, maybe even a third source as I recall the discussion over the phone..........At the time, Jennifer Knew How to Do THAT......... 8) :wink: Miss her!