Need help on a OM 45 colt value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
OM - 7-1/2" - 45 Colt

No pics of serial to tell if it is a prefix or not.

Protected sights (ears)

some holster wear on the muzzle - again no pic of ejrh

Converted - don't know if original parts are available

THE KICKER drilled and tapped top strap - single hole

no box papers etc - gun only

flatgate

Hawkeye
Dan in MI said:
OM - 7-1/2" - 45 Colt

No pics of serial to tell if it is a prefix or not.

All have a prefix of 45, followed by a 5 digit number.

D/T top strap? Converted w/o original parts?

I'd not pay over $400 and, at that, I'd have to want it bad....

I'd inquire as to the diameter of the cylinder's throats ...

JMHO,

flatgate

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Purely a shooter......Original parts are spendy. Frankly, I would save my money for a better gun; one with original parts, less or no wear on muzzle and ERH, AN NO EXTRA HOLE(S)......you should take a deep breath, concentrate and say: "this gun I have asked about, will never be collectable and will NEVER be any better than it is now............"( :? )
YOUR call, Your money, My opinion and four decades of being in the hunt.
Mike

contender

Ruger Guru
If it's less than the $400 mentioned I'd say buy it. It's a shooter,, period. However,, once you get it,, you can get the original lockwork to re-convert it,,and have a heck of a nice shooter.

G2

Hunter
+1 on under $400,,, more like 3 benjamin's

OM parts set ~$130 +/-.
The ERH is most likely aluminum. A Steel Story replacement $25, & your going to need the little extra weight for those 26gr H110 loads. :D

Send it to Harton to weld up the top strap hole and Color Case, He is real good at this kinda thing. bye bye hole.

If you need/want a set of OM parts I currently have a extra set for that gun. :wink:

Sounds like a good shooter rebuild project ending up with a fairly rare Ruger.

contender

Ruger Guru
At $300 I hope you broke his arm off!!!!!!!!! (Or at least injured yours whipping out the wallet!) I bought a shooter 45 Colt OM last year from a great forum member here. It has had the front sight narrowed, (milled down) the ejector rod was not an OM one but a NM one that had the end pin removed,, and a set screw to hold it in place added,, and an action smoothing for $625 and I was HAPPY to get a nice shooter like that. For $300 with a hole in the topstrap as the "issue" I'd buy it in a heartbeat and shoot the dickens out of that one. The conversion parts are a no brainer. (Leaving the other OM's that are not "customized" alone!)

Dan in MI

Staff member
Well I made an offer (it's against my nature to pay asked for price) to my chagrin the reply was "I have someone coming by this morning that wants it. If they back out I'll take your offer." :cry:

I get home from dinner to this. "He backed out. It's yours if you want it"

IF????? :mrgreen: Arrangements are made I should have it Tuesday night. Anybody got a bandit emoticon? :lol: