Hello All ! Newb Here !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

klutzz

Bearcat
Pleased to make everyones aquaintance. I Have been browsing here for the last few days and have come across alot of interesting info on a recent purchase I made.
3 days ago I came into posessition of 7.5" Super BlackHawk in 44mag.
I had pretty much decided that for the asking price I was atleast getting another big bore pistol to reload for. What I ended up with is the first gun I have ever purchased that seriously thinking of never shooting.

The reason I am troubling all you fine folks with my good fortune is to determine if this weapon has any collectors value beyond bein pretty, hardly fired and almost as old as I am. I have seen some of the terms used back and forth about grip styles/medallions, trigger shape,ejector rod groove,actual barrel length etc. but I am having trouble putting it altogether and making a judgement: And yes I got me an itchy trigger finger !

Thanx in advance for any thoughts or insights,
and once again Great to meet you !

Klutzz

welcome to the Forum, bottom line is with out "seeing" the gun ( we love pictures) or a better description of just 'exactly" which of the Supers you may actually have makes it a bit hard to give one the "perfect' answer, there are few?? different variations of the Ruger Super Blackahwk..........old model AND 'new' so the serial number tells LOTS.....
so what does it have on the gun as "markings", are there screws or pins holding in the 'lockwork', and yes, is the grip frame a "square back" (dragoon style) or the later ,newer rounded one, and what is the "exact" length of the barrel , measure it from the front of the cylinder to the end of the muzzle....these few things will better enable the group to help you out.............

klutzz

Bearcat
Hello to you as well SteveR,
Im workin on the pix thing but otherwise is as follows:

# 27xxx - mid of that range
.44 mag < 100rds (educated guess but yes, subjective OMP)
Three screw (unmodified)
Grips are the satin red wood (although there was a Hogue mono incuded in the deal)
Finish: Blued, High Gloss, slight rub? on side of muzzel, small nick @ frt. Site base overall 90 - 98 % no rust or pitting.
BArrel measures 7.5" with no noth on the inside groove of the ejector assy.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
klutzz said:

Three screw (unmodified)
Grips are the satin red wood (although there was a Hogue mono incuded in the deal)
Finish: Blued, High Gloss, slight rub? on side of muzzel, small nick @ frt. Site base overall 90 - 98 % no rust or pitting.

Looks like a 1967.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
klutzz said:
The reason I am troubling all you fine folks with my good fortune is to determine if this weapon has any collectors value beyond bein pretty, hardly fired and almost as old as I am. I have seen some of the terms used back and forth about grip styles/medallions, trigger shape,ejector rod groove,actual barrel length etc. but I am having trouble putting it altogether and making a judgement: And yes I got me an itchy trigger finger !

klutzz said:

# 27xxx - mid of that range.44 mag < 100rds (educated guess but yes, subjective OMP)
Three screw (unmodified)

Well, based on the info you have given us, thus far...... you're around........ 40 years old....... :lol: 8)

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair and sit a spell..... oh yeah, new guy brings the ceegars!! And, not those cheapies either!!! 8)

klutzz said:

Three screw (unmodified)

As stated above the a 1967 Birthday with the larger serial # ( about 1/8" high ), Aluminum ejector rod housing, May or may not have the Neck Feather medallions in the grips, Very nice High Polished finish, It shipped in the two piece Std box for that era( Black Box with a Red end label showing it is a model S-47 ). This era of guns had some of the best high polishes. Barrel is 7-1/2" wih an eagle on the barrel. Very nice piece of history gun. Enjoy it well.

martyj

Blackhawk
You came to the right place these guys have knowledge beyond your wildest dreams and are all very friendly and patient.
Good luck with your collecting and welcome to higher education on Ruger's

Latest posts